Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2019, 10:43:17 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2019, 05:45:15 AM
Because maps are cool.
It is fascinating how empty England really is, despite the 20th century push for sprawl.
https://parallel.co.uk/3D/population-density

How on earth can you think that shows England is empty?  :wacko:

Seriously. England is the most densely populated country in Europe.  :wacko:

The Brain

At least try to speak the same language. Empty = no coal mines.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

In Tyr's defense, I don't think he's saying England is "empty" so much as he's surprised that there aren't people literally everywhere on the island. Despite England being densely populated, there are still significant areas of forest, mountain, etc. that people don't really live in.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2019, 01:58:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2019, 01:38:31 PM
Israeli leaders seem to end up here eventually. I guess credit to Israel for actually eventually prosecuting these guys even though it doesn't seem to dissuade them.

Really?  My impression is Bibi is pretty unique among Israeli PMs.  Though I may have not been paying enough attention.

His predecessor Ehud Olmert also met the same sad fate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

You know what's surprisingly empty? Mega-City One. It has a huge footprint for a city of 800/400 million (pre/post the Apocalypse War).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on November 21, 2019, 02:16:21 PM
Because maps are cool.
It is fascinating how empty England really is, despite the 20th century push for sprawl.

I thought it was the Netherlands (discounting micro nations, otherwise it'd be Monaco or somesuch).

Josquius

Because maps are cool.

This is known.
Which is why the map showing a low popualtion density over so much of the country is interesting.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on November 21, 2019, 03:03:12 PM
Because maps are cool.

I thought it was the Netherlands (discounting micro nations, otherwise it'd be Monaco or somesuch).

I'm sure the Netherlands is,  probably just higher than ther UK, but I thnk Tyr and Mal are discussing England, in which case the area is nearly halved but still containing 85% of the population.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2019, 03:15:01 PM
Because maps are cool.

This is known.
Which is why the map showing a low popualtion density over so much of the country is interesting.

10+ people / km2 is not low density!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I disagree. That's the density of the least inhabited countries in the world.

Recently had visitors from Switzerland over and they observed it was interesting that its not hard to drive to a place with no houses.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2019, 03:26:54 PM
I disagree. That's the density of the least inhabited countries in the world.

Recently had visitors from Switzerland over and they observed it was interesting that its not hard to drive to a place with no houses.

But it seems that it only appears as such because your source presents information in a very deliberate way, with extremely small units and a very small lower bracket. Compare that with a population map with a more standard display of information:

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on November 21, 2019, 03:19:01 PM
I'm sure the Netherlands is,  probably just higher than ther UK, but I thnk Tyr and Mal are discussing England, in which case the area is nearly halved but still containing 85% of the population.  :bowler:
I think the Netherlands is still ahead of England. But even including mostly empty Scotland, the UK is one of the most densely populated states in Europe.

But I mean Canada's the other end of the extreme. I imagine it's less densely populated than more or less anywhere but Australia which is, of course, mainly flame and desert.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 21, 2019, 03:43:42 PM
But it seems that it only appears as such because your source presents information in a very deliberate way, with extremely small units and a very small lower bracket. Compare that with a population map with a more standard display of information:
Sure. But it's also land use which I think is part Tyr's point. For somewhere so densely populated it's interestingly "empty":
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Here's another population density map of England (and Wales):

Besides parts of the North and South West, the rest of the country is still pretty densely populated.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2019, 03:46:22 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 21, 2019, 03:43:42 PM
Sure. But it's also land use which I think is part Tyr's point. For somewhere so densely populated it's interestingly "empty":

Every country is going to have similar stats, if you expected noticeably low % of agricultural land or somesuch then the problem is that misconception.