The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2019, 11:32:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2019, 10:43:17 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2019, 05:45:15 AM
Because maps are cool.
It is fascinating how empty England really is, despite the 20th century push for sprawl.
https://parallel.co.uk/3D/population-density

How on earth can you think that shows England is empty?  :wacko:

Most of the map shows minimal density with only a few isolated islands of civilization

The minimal density is not really low to a Canadian eye.

I couldn't find continuing 1/km2 density counties.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Yeah here is Texas:

If England is empty, Texas is a barren wasteland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Georgia's similar, but sprawls a bit more:

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

We're overdue for a soda/pop map.

Barrister

Because maps are cool.
It is fascinating how empty England really is, despite the 20th century push for sprawl.

Most of the map shows minimal density with only a few isolated islands of civilization

Here's a less good quality map for Canada:

But here's the thing: the scales are all different.

The lowest population density I can find on that map of England is 10-12 persons / km2.

Using the Canadian map, those regions would be coloured orange.  All of England would be orange or higher.  Whereas only a tiny parts of Canada are.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Man, I haven't had a coke in years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2019, 12:16:47 PM
Because maps are cool.

Here's a less good quality map for Canada:

But here's the thing: the scales are all different.

The lowest population density I can find on that map of England is 10-12 persons / km2.

Using the Canadian map, those regions would be coloured orange.  All of England would be orange or higher.  Whereas only a tiny parts of Canada are.

I love how there is one tiny dot of yellow on Ellesmere Island.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Bibi is about to be charged with Fraud and Bribery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2019, 12:06:08 PM
Yeah here is Texas:

[img

If England is empty, Texas is a barren wasteland.
Is that qualifier really necessary?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2019, 01:23:31 PM

Unless your eyes see something I don't, I believe you're confusing Baffin Island (the large island directly north of Quebec) with Ellesmere Island (the northmost island). :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2019, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2019, 01:23:31 PM

Unless your eyes see something I don't, I believe you're confusing Baffin Island (the large island directly north of Quebec) with Ellesmere Island (the northmost island). :contract:

My bad - I did indeed confuse the two.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2019, 01:29:35 PM
Bibi is about to be charged with Fraud and Bribery.

Israeli leaders seem to end up here eventually. I guess credit to Israel for actually eventually prosecuting these guys even though it doesn't seem to dissuade them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2019, 01:38:31 PM
Israeli leaders seem to end up here eventually. I guess credit to Israel for actually eventually prosecuting these guys even though it doesn't seem to dissuade them.

Really?  My impression is Bibi is pretty unique among Israeli PMs.  Though I may have not been paying enough attention.

Malthus

The previous two - Olmert and Sharon - had corruption scandals. Olmert was actually convicted and sentenced to prison for one (albeit for misdeeds committed before he was PM). Sharon never faced an investigation, because he suffered a stroke before any got under way.

Olmert served 16 months. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/israel-former-pm-ehud-olmert-release-prison-a7819446.html

I guess the question is whether Israeli PMs are very corrupt, or whether Israeli prosecutors are very ferocious, or a mix of both. Trump, for example, makes these guys look like pikers in the corruption department, but chances are he'll never see the inside of a jail cell.