News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2019, 04:10:02 PM
That would help explain why, so far I think, Denmark, Germany and Belgium have not been able to find an equivalent crime (which I think you need for a European arrest warrant).

That was quite a source of frustration here in Spain, as it was felt that other countries' judges were double guessing our own judges and discussing the merits of the charges in order to execute the European arrest warrant. AFAIK over here those kind of warrants were simply executed automatically, without that level of scrutiny on their merits.

Sheilbh

My understanding is they don't look at the merits, but they do look at whether there is an equivalent crime (except for some crimes - murder, fraud etc) which basically leads to a re-trial.

It is, I think mainly something that affects Eastern European countries. Courts can refuse an EAW if they doubt either the rule of law or fundamental human rights of the individual and this - in the UK and Ireland - disproportionately means not deporting people to countries like Romania, Hungary, Poland. Which isn't great in a system that's meant to be based on mutual recognition but is maybe right? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Sitting on the bus and right behind me is some girl telling her friend about some messages she recieved on Instagram dragging her towards a pyramid scheme which sounds really great and will definitely make her rich..   I'm massively resisting the urge to turn around and speak.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Give in to the urge. Being good is more important than being English.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

:o Legit attempted art heist!

Police foil attempt to steal Rembrandt works from exhibition
Officers found paintings shortly after they were taken from Dulwich Picture Gallery

Mark Brown Arts correspondent
Thu 14 Nov 2019 17.47 GMT

Police are investigating a foiled attempt to steal two Rembrandt paintings from England's oldest public art gallery.

One or more intruders broke in to Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London late on Wednesday and removed two paintings from the Rembrandt's Light exhibition.

Police were called and following a search of the area officers challenged a suspect running from the scene.

In a statement the Metropolitan police said an officer gave chase and the intruder used a canister to spray them in the face with an unknown substance and as a result the suspect was able to get away.

The officer, who did not sustain serious injuries, located one of the paintings and, in cooperation with security staff, the other painting was also quickly found. Neither painting left the gallery grounds and remain in the gallery's care.

Det Insp Jason Barber, from the Met's Flying Squad, said: "This was an audacious attempted burglary and was clearly planned in advance.

"Two paintings in the exhibition were targeted and it was only down to the prompt response of gallery security staff and the courage and swift intervention of officers that these two works of art were not stolen. Thankfully both the paintings were quickly recovered and secured.

"Our inquiries now centre on finding whoever was responsible for this crime and I would ask anyone with information to call police."

The gallery has not yet said which of the 35 Rembrandt paintings in the show were targeted. Among the paintings on display are The Pilgrims at Emmaus, 1648, from the Louvre; Philemon and Baucis, 1658, from the National Gallery of Art, in Washington; Christ and St Mary Magdalen at the Tomb, 1638, lent by the Royal Collection; and A Woman Bathing in a Stream, 1654, from the National Gallery.

In a statement it said: "The intruders were detected by the gallery's robust security systems and, thanks to the immediate intervention of security staff and the swift response of the Metropolitan police, the paintings were secured at the scene.

"The exhibition and gallery will remain closed until further notice, to allow the police to conduct a full investigation into the incident."

Dulwich picture gallery opened in 1817 and is the oldest public art gallery in England.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Heh sounds like it would make a good movie, or at least an episode of a TV show.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

So two years ago, John Oliver had a segment about Bob Murry, the coal king, on his show and Murray sued him. The suit has now been dropped, and John Oliver has done a segment about frivolous lawsuits intended to stifle criticism and caps it off with this lovely little song about Bob Murray.  :lol:

https://youtu.be/UN8bJb8biZU?t=1263
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

For more fun: here is a real, improper ex parte letter Murray wrote to the Court in that case and the Court's response: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4420984-Unserved-Letter-by-Murray-Docketed-by-Court.html
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

The most modern online shop available on the internet today:

http://www.arngren.net/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2019, 04:33:54 PM
The most modern online shop available on the internet today:

http://www.arngren.net/

I remember that from the back of comic books.

Eddie Teach

Josquius

Just before bed I stepped on the scale.
First thing in the morning I did the same again.
Nearly a full 2kg difference.
It is absolutely amazing how much weight is lost whilst you sleep.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on November 20, 2019, 02:54:47 AM
Just before bed I stepped on the scale.
First thing in the morning I did the same again.
Nearly a full 2kg difference.
It is absolutely amazing how much weight is lost whilst you sleep.
I wonder where the two missing kilos went.  Did you also weigh the bedding before and after?

Eddie Teach

Sounds like he sweats a lot.

Duque de Bragança

/ The Brain
Huge morning defecation as well?  :hmm: