Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 06, 2019, 12:37:32 PM
so... dick squid?

Yeah. I guess the prosecutors office always dicks you over in Hakodate
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2019, 11:53:33 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 05, 2019, 11:17:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2019, 09:42:47 AMHe doesn't really. It's more about Austrian kitsch.

The deers remind me a bit of Laibach, who also used them in some of their videos with a really nazi vibe. Maybe the term that can be employed is Alpine kitsch?  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9lObWclFQ

Major difference: Laibach use it ironically. ;)

Really kitsch but Manu Chao did not get it. Too subtle for him I guess.  :P

Syt

As member of Generation X, I'm not sure how I feel about this apparent culture war between baby boomers and millennials. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

As a member of generation x who consumes Reddit memes on YouTube, I am quite bored of said conflict.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

I'm thinking it might just be another form of tribalism cropping up, and not useful to anyone involved or not involved.

We're already full up on reasons for artificially-classified groups of people to hate on each other.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 07, 2019, 01:40:13 PM
I'm thinking it might just be another form of tribalism cropping up, and not useful to anyone involved or not involved.

We're already full up on reasons for artificially-classified groups of people to hate on each other.

Yup.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I have no clue what you guys are talking about.  I assume it's not intergenerational conflict about dick squids or Danish conquests.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2019, 02:49:42 PM
I have no clue what you guys are talking about.  I assume it's not intergenerational conflict about dick squids or Danish conquests.

It's the latest thing for some folks to dismiss any argument by someone who is or appears to be older than them with "ok, boomer".

Meaning being - every problem today is caused by self-righteous, entitled older folks, who easily got good jobs, houses etc. while cheerfully screwing up the environment, and then turn around and classify everyone younger as whiny layabouts; so there is no point in even debating anything with them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

So really, their beef should be with journalists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2019, 03:35:40 PM
In that vein:

That's a big part of it - the feeling that "millennials" have been targeted as self-indulgent, whiny layabouts by smug "boomers" for years, so now it's time to turn the tables.

Tonitrus

Or it's just the 60's all over again...

Never trust anyone over 30.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2019, 03:03:59 PM
It's the latest thing for some folks to dismiss any argument by someone who is or appears to be older than them with "ok, boomer".

Meaning being - every problem today is caused by self-righteous, entitled older folks, who easily got good jobs, houses etc. while cheerfully screwing up the environment, and then turn around and classify everyone younger as whiny layabouts; so there is no point in even debating anything with them.
I think that's a bit serious and 90% of it is humour.

But part of it is as that article says all of the things Millenials are killing in that photo  (https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/millennials-are-killing), plus the whole "snowflake" thing. And I think there's an element of the dynamic of Al Gore explaining the internet - ok boomer.
Let's bomb Russia!