Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on November 04, 2019, 12:03:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2019, 08:39:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2019, 12:35:17 AM
Is decorating your house for holidays purely an American thing?  I mean more than just a Christmas wreath.

It started as a German thing.
:huh:

The modern version of Christmas as we know it with Christmas trees et al was introduced to the UK via Prince Albert (Victoria's husband).
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2019, 12:21:16 AM
CdM has a big smile tonight

I was talking to him during the game. He was rather pleased. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

I'm waffling on whether or not to decorate this year. I didn't last year, and this year I'll be gone. So basically, I'd be decorating for my house sitter.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Yo, British people. Do I read correctly that you used to routinely rewire the plugs for your appliances? And that most appliances came without a plug?

WTF?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2019, 12:19:47 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 04, 2019, 12:03:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2019, 08:39:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2019, 12:35:17 AM
Is decorating your house for holidays purely an American thing?  I mean more than just a Christmas wreath.

It started as a German thing.
:huh:

Oh tannenbuam.....

And became, well, this 

https://kaethe-wohlfahrt.com/Weihnachtsdorf-Rothenburg-o-d-Tauber/
Ah, I had thought of exterior decorations, which exist in Germany, but are nowhere as elaborate as what you see in the US. Interior decorations are indeed common here and have a long tradition.

Admiral Yi

I was seguing off my first giant inflatable turkey sighting so my question was intended to be about exterior decorations.

To open the question up a little more , are there any holidays other than Christmas that Rotwers decorate for?

Barrister

My neighbors put up Diwali lights this time of year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Worst taste Christmas décor: inflatable Santa holding a gun. Sold out of Bass Pro Shop.

Don't know if it came with a bunch of dead reindeer and elves, though.  :D

They don't seem to have it this year, though - only an inflatable snowman hunter with a gun. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2019, 01:08:25 PM
Yo, British people. Do I read correctly that you used to routinely rewire the plugs for your appliances? And that most appliances came without a plug?

WTF?
What?!

No.

Also I wish we had proper American Halloween. I love Halloween. I also love Christmas, so this is a fairly good time of year for me :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

WTF?

Yes, until about 15-20 years ago, and I do recall having to buy plugs for leads; now everything is like an IEC lead, figure of 8 or similar lead. 

Though some of those still have a removable fuse, so I have changed one or two of those in recent years.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 04, 2019, 05:04:36 PM

WTF?

Yes, until about 15-20 years ago, and I do recall having to buy plugs for leads; now everything is like an IEC lead, figure of 8 or similar lead. 

Though some of those still have a removable fuse, so I have changed one or two of those in recent years.

I thought I had remembered hearing that, so I was confused at Sheilbh's response.  Thanks for clarifying.

Sheilbh

What can I say? The past isn't even past yet :o

I had no idea - have no memory of this and wouldn't know how to re-wire a plug. On the other hand British plugs are the one thing I will become a beer-swilling, hooliganing nationalist about  :menace:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Why would they come without a plug?
Budget foreign imports?
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

UK plugs are bulky and obtrusive...not sleek and cool like the American version.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2019, 05:27:44 PM
Why would they come without a plug?
Budget foreign imports?

No idea.  Did some light googling.  Apparently the law changed in 1992 mandating a plug, but before that you had to buy the plug separately.