Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 3380195 times)

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #72060 on: October 24, 2019, 03:49:52 pm »
Deep learning on a quantum blockchain.

Is VR not cool any more?

Hell no - why would you want to mimic something as lame as reality?  What a pointless use of good tech.
The new thing is real virtuality.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

• Neil
« Reply #72061 on: October 24, 2019, 03:56:25 pm »

Is VR not cool any more?

Nope.  VR is so 2014.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #72062 on: October 24, 2019, 03:59:05 pm »
VR has been mocked as an old turkey for more than 25 years. Sam and Max Hit the Road, Beneath a Steel Sky...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #72063 on: October 24, 2019, 04:47:37 pm »
AR was a big buzzword a few years back.
I think even block chain's time as the cure for all the world's ills has passed.
I really can't think what it is now.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #72064 on: October 24, 2019, 04:57:11 pm »
AR was a big buzzword a few years back.
I think even block chain's time as the cure for all the world's ills has passed.
I really can't think what it is now.

We are past hope

Oexmelin

• Furry
  • Commissaire-ordonnateur
« Reply #72065 on: October 24, 2019, 10:26:39 pm »
Fourth monument to Emmett Till to be built in a decade. All previous ones were vandalized. This one will be bullet proof.

https://hyperallergic.com/523858/emmett-till-bulletproof-memorial/?fbclid=IwAR1f6R4E0jgCqyyBGpvCeG0tanQnvBDgRX2YS8PjJA7e_rY9-QKH_sdTa4U
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #72066 on: October 24, 2019, 11:03:11 pm »
Fourth monument to Emmett Till to be built in a decade. All previous ones were vandalized. This one will be bullet proof.

https://hyperallergic.com/523858/emmett-till-bulletproof-memorial/?fbclid=IwAR1f6R4E0jgCqyyBGpvCeG0tanQnvBDgRX2YS8PjJA7e_rY9-QKH_sdTa4U

When they were taking down some of the Confederate memorials I remember people posting stuff (not here of course) about how if they were tearing down monuments to Martin Luther King that there would be riots in the streets.  I pointed out that MLK monuments and monuments to civil right's leaders are attacked all the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

• Neil
« Reply #72067 on: October 25, 2019, 02:42:43 am »
Vienna ComicCon is next month. Special guests include Sean Astin, Steven Segal and Frank Miller. A Frank Miller autograph will cost €90, a photo with Steve Segal also €90  :lol:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #72068 on: October 25, 2019, 03:08:31 am »

It's just stupidass to build something like that in Mississippi or Alabama.  Those boys are never going to get better.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Yi/Before; 50 even; Trump orders at least one disobeys  vs all obey; till 0 deaths; Beeb arbitrates.

Grey Fox

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Ed Anger[RIP]'s tormentor
« Reply #72069 on: October 25, 2019, 07:35:54 am »
Give us some meaningless buzzwords at least, or the broad sector in which it'd be applied.  :P

Neural networks? Quantum computing? Thingamajigs?

Fucking Neural networks.  :mad:

I do that.

That's interesting.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

• Neil
« Reply #72070 on: October 25, 2019, 11:16:39 am »
Linda Hamilton and Schwarzenegger compare Austrian and American snacks. :lmfao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rV7ZczsDGY

Love him talking Austro-German. :D
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

The Larch

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #72071 on: October 25, 2019, 11:44:45 am »
Linda Hamilton and Schwarzenegger compare Austrian and American snacks. :lmfao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rV7ZczsDGY

Love him talking Austro-German. :D

I've been told that Ahnuld has a rather peculiar accent when speaking German. Styrian?

Edit: He sounds a bit like my brother's father in law.  :lol: But he's from Upper Austria.

Also, Sachertorte vs. Twinkies? Had no idea PEZ was Austrian, though. I was expecting Manner cookies at some point.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:53:17 am by The Larch »

Syt

• Neil
« Reply #72072 on: October 25, 2019, 11:56:59 am »
Yeah, Styrian and Upper Austrian is not very far apart.

Yeah, no Mannerschnitten was weird. Would have substituted for SCHOKOSCHIRMCHEN :D

PEZ is indeed Austrian, and is named after peppermint, i.e. PfeffErminZ

Hamilcar

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Toaster
« Reply #72073 on: October 25, 2019, 05:28:28 pm »

I am allergic to the blockchain.

Hamilcar

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Toaster
« Reply #72074 on: October 25, 2019, 05:35:22 pm »