Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 3183347 times)

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #71895 on: October 09, 2019, 10:03:47 am »
Has anyone else noticed, one of the Nobel prize winners this year.... his name is "Goodenough".
What a name.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Embrace the solitude
« Reply #71896 on: October 09, 2019, 10:21:48 am »
I learned a new word today.  "questmonger".  It's not Mongers going to find the Holy Grail, but rather a litigious individual.

:hmm:

Raz, have you considered I could be both of those.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71897 on: October 09, 2019, 11:19:23 am »
Has anyone else noticed, one of the Nobel prize winners this year.... his name is "Goodenough".
What a name.

Turns out he was

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #71898 on: October 09, 2019, 11:23:45 am »
I learned a new word today.  "questmonger".  It's not Mongers going to find the Holy Grail, but rather a litigious individual.

:hmm:

Raz, have you considered I could be both of those.  :)

Only the pure of heart can win the grail.  :secret:
You know I'm going to lose and gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it, baby, I don't want to live forever.

Hong Kong Add Oil :showoff:

grumbler

• Blessed by Valmy
  • I'll sleep when I'm dead
« Reply #71899 on: October 09, 2019, 12:07:32 pm »
I get gwenders when I hear words like questmonger still being used.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Sheilbh

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71900 on: October 09, 2019, 04:10:54 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdkd-Z3Zrp8

US diplomat's wife kills British kid in hit and run (she was driving on the wrong side of the road), flees country, State Department not waiving immunity.
Update on this. Unclear if she was entitled to diplomatic immunity, US not waiving. And now:
Donald Trump has defended the wife of a US diplomat who killed a British teenager in a road accident, suggesting it is difficult to drive on the other side of the road and that "we've all done it".

More follows…
:mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #71901 on: October 09, 2019, 04:13:41 pm »
I really think the formal launch of the impeachment inquiry has blown a fuse in his head.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #71902 on: October 09, 2019, 04:14:51 pm »
We have all killed somebody with our cars and drove away and fled the country? Huh.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
« Reply #71903 on: October 09, 2019, 04:32:34 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdkd-Z3Zrp8

US diplomat's wife kills British kid in hit and run (she was driving on the wrong side of the road), flees country, State Department not waiving immunity.
Update on this. Unclear if she was entitled to diplomatic immunity, US not waiving. And now:
Donald Trump has defended the wife of a US diplomat who killed a British teenager in a road accident, suggesting it is difficult to drive on the other side of the road and that "we've all done it".

More follows…
:mellow:

When can we escape this waking nightmare?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71904 on: October 09, 2019, 04:35:54 pm »
He apparently struggled with our, and I quote, "opposite roads" :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

• Blessed by Valmy
  • I'll sleep when I'm dead
« Reply #71905 on: October 09, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »
The British police say the woman (Anne Sacoolas) "cooperated fully with the police" after the accident.  The family claims differently, but I think the police more credible on this.

It also seems likely that the US embassy staff was the force that made her leave the country, though that is less clear.

Lots of British tabloid stuff on this, but I trust the British tabloid press like I trust Trump when it comes to the truth.  It's fucking ghoulish, frankly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
« Reply #71906 on: October 09, 2019, 04:41:37 pm »
The British police say the woman (Anne Sacoolas) "cooperated fully with the police" after the accident.  The family claims differently, but I think the police more credible on this.

It also seems likely that the US embassy staff was the force that made her leave the country, though that is less clear.

Lots of British tabloid stuff on this, but I trust the British tabloid press like I trust Trump when it comes to the truth.  It's fucking ghoulish, frankly.

I will say the BBC trotting them out for an extended segment on breakfast television yesterday seemed in poor taste.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #71907 on: October 09, 2019, 04:53:35 pm »
I hear there was almost literally the exact opposite case some years ago with a British diplomat killing someone in the US and diplomatic immunity being waived in that case?
My Google is failing me though. Anyone heard anything of this being an actual thing that happened?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #71908 on: October 09, 2019, 04:57:27 pm »
I hear there was almost literally the exact opposite case some years ago with a British diplomat killing someone in the US and diplomatic immunity being waived in that case?
My Google is failing me though. Anyone heard anything of this being an actual thing that happened?

I saw something about a Georgian drunk driver two years ago, not a Brit.  Georgia waived his immunity.  I also remember from my time in DC that another Georgian diplomat killed someone while driving.  He fled the US and the Georgian government sent him back.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Sheilbh

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71909 on: October 09, 2019, 05:28:34 pm »
I will say the BBC trotting them out for an extended segment on breakfast television yesterday seemed in poor taste.
I know the media, especially the tabloid press, will basically phone grieving families and say: we're running this story, you can comment or not. But in a sensitive, sympathetic way.

I don't think that's happening here. The death was recent, but about 6 weeks ago. I think the family are campaigning to raise awareness, which so far has got a meeting with the Foreign Secretary and statements of support from the PM as well. It may not work and it could even be counter-productive. I don't think it's the BBC trotting them out and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do media in the US. And I can't blame them for trying.
Let's bomb Russia!