And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2019, 07:24:42 PM
The best obituary I read on Jacques Chirac is paywalled, so I'll just :(

Also, as one person on Twitter put it, responsible for a political poster that should inspire all parties:

:wub: :frog:

Edit: And I had no idea of his contribution of great campaign songs:
https://www.politico.eu/article/former-french-president-jacques-chirac-slice-of-soul-and-other-memorable-campaign-songs/

That first one is great :mellow:

That was for the 1981 campaign where he played a part in in the defeat of Valéry Giscard d'Estaing. The latter being still alive actually.
That song is still quite popular in retro-parties. I could sing it, but I won't, for now.  :P

Syt

Posted on Austrian Reddit re: today's elections (it's Maximilian I's 500th death anniversary - the exhibition poster has been photoshoppped to make it an election poster).

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Vote Maximilian. I promise to inherit Burgundy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I like the Twitter account Giant Military Cats.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

AFAIK the Australian air force doesn't have giant cats. Is "Australian" photoshopped?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

New metro line (M3) opened in Copenhagen this weekend. 20 years of construction so far and the fourth line should be finished in 2024.

Coupled with the commuter trains travelling around Copenhagen is near perfect now.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I remember when I was in Copenhagen in 2003 or 2004 there was just one short line, IIRC.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

So that's what it's like to live in a city with a functioning government...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

But is it worth traveling around Copenhagen?  :P

(unless you live there, of course)

Syt

Newspaper article in the travel section of an online news page: "Hardly anyone knows Ayutthaya."

I presume the knowledge increases if you've played Europa Universalis. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2019, 09:13:02 AM
Newspaper article in the travel section of an online news page: "Hardly anyone knows Ayutthaya."

I presume the knowledge increases if you've played Europa Universalis. :D
Heh.  :D

I imagine most tourists who have been to Thailand know something about it - at least, the ones interested in visiting historic ruins, rather than just the beaches and the Patpong Road sex shows.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

I recently moved back into my condo. My neighbor is a ~50 year old guy with serious drug problems with drug friends constantly coming over. He is a nice drug addict, but the HOA is harassing him constantly to try to convince him to leave. For example, he complained to my girlfriend, "the HOA keeps telling me that they know prostitution is going on in my place and that is unacceptable. I tell them that the girls staying over are not prostitutes and are good girls. Maybe they have sex for money when they really need drugs, but they aren't normally prostitutes."

Last night, before I got home, one of the ladies from his place knocked on our door and asked my girlfriend if we had vinegar because she was making hard boiled eggs. My girlfriend is certain that it was for drug stuff and today found that vinegar is somehow used by heroin users...

So what says languish? Was the vinegar for hard boiled eggs or drugs?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Never heard of that one.
But never heard of it being used for boiled eggs either.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on October 02, 2019, 01:54:44 PM
So what says languish? Was the vinegar for hard boiled eggs or drugs?

YOu just know it was for drugs...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.