News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 15, 2019, 11:34:46 AM
Key word: our. My family didn't have one of these monstrous CRTs some of you have mentioned. I was able to lift them unaided.

Hey Eddie I was only citing my own experience. I did not mean to imply you had a hard time moving CRTs around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Should be in the HK thread.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 15, 2019, 11:34:46 AM
Key word: our. My family didn't have one of these monstrous CRTs some of you have mentioned. I was able to lift them unaided.

What do you consider monstrous?  Even a 25" CRT TV was bulky and heavy to move.  I have one sitting right next to me in my basement that I haven't bothered to get rid of yet :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 11:18:45 PM
I don't think our CRTs were any heavier than our current flat screens. Course, the screen was much smaller.

You must have a very heavy flat screen.

Josquius

Jeez Scotland is big.
And not just look at a map and go gosh that's big big.
It takes forever to get anywhere with the mountains and small windy roads.
I  now understand far more how the highlanders view Edinburgh as just as foreign as England.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2019, 12:39:36 PM
It takes forever to get anywhere with the mountains and small windy roads.

This is what us big/straight-road Yanks say about ya'll down here in England.  :P

Malthus

I like this headline: "Move over, Florida man: Woman pulls gator from pants"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/15/florida-woman-who-pulled-gator-pants-traffic-stop-sentenced/2025323001/

Proving that, when it comes to weirdness, Florida doesn't discriminate.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Official torch-lit night events are still the rage in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j899_fNn_Ng

[spoiler]Ursula von der Leyen leaves the German ministry of Defense for the European commission, so she gets to pick the music played by the Bundeswehr band in her honour. For the troglodytes, it's Wind of Change by Scorpions.[/spoiler]

PS: link fixed. Works for me at least.

Habbaku

QuoteThe second wishful title of the Serenade "Wind of Change" was removed from this video because of expected copyright claims and set as an exclusion: https://youtu.be/j899_fNn_Ng
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Comic nerds to me.
Is it ever mentioned what happens to spidermans used webs?
Especially those normal versions of spiderman where its industrial cable.
As he swings through New York a lot of it must be left behind dangling. Seems dangerous. Messy at least.
It strikes me there must be a team specially employed to follow spiderman around and clean up the used webs.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

They decompose into a soluble gloop after an hour  :nerd:

Tonitrus

Think of how many people must get splattered by that just innocently walking down the street.