And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2019, 11:35:15 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 11:18:45 PM
I don't think our CRTs were any heavier than our current flat screens. Course, the screen was much smaller.

Maybe. But flat screens are easy to carry. CRTs were bulky with no obvious hand holds. I remember my fingers hurt like fuck the longer I carried them.

Flat screens are no problem at all, even if they might be the same weight.

They're bulky in different ways. Carrying things with your arms straight can also be awkward.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

My neighbor has updated the book in his window. It's now Wittgenstein's Philosophical Grammar.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

My parents' last CRT TV was a fucking 60 kilograms monstrosity. It was about third of the size of the giant LCD they have now, which two of us can carry on about three fingers each. Flat screen TVs are MUCH lighter.

Josquius

Yeah. My last crt was horribly heavy. With my dad's age there's no way we would be able to move it together these days.
On a similar note it's always funny to look at old photos and see how small the tvs are
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I helped my parents replace their old 40 inch CRT with a 55 inch and the CRT was much heavier.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on August 14, 2019, 03:44:45 PM
I can understand the reasoning behind this guy. When I was getting rid of my huge old tube TV, getting the city to pick it up took forever.  :D

I agree with Tyr. Maybe you could have sold it to a retro-gamer because old consoles were made for CRTs. They really look better, sometimes even the PS2. Less so the Gamecube with its more common progressive scan mode.
I still remember an old one weighting 40-50 kgs needing 3 men to deliver it to the 7th floor (no elevator). Corridor was narrow at the end so only two to carry it. Couldn't be delivered so I had to help my brother to do it while enlisting a neighbor. The TV was given later to a handyman on the condition he took it away without us helping him.  :P

Washing machines or fridges still exist just in case somebody misses moving bulky and/or heavy appliances.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2019, 04:34:12 AM
My parents' last CRT TV was a fucking 60 kilograms monstrosity. It was about third of the size of the giant LCD they have now, which two of us can carry on about three fingers each. Flat screen TVs are MUCH lighter.

Absolutely. We replaced our enormously heavy tube TV fairly recently, it was a *lot* heavier than our (much larger) flat screen.

The difference though is that the flat screen would be a lot of trouble to move any distance, because it is so thin and delicate.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on August 15, 2019, 07:38:08 AM

Absolutely. We replaced our enormously heavy tube TV fairly recently, it was a *lot* heavier than our (much larger) flat screen.

The difference though is that the flat screen would be a lot of trouble to move any distance, because it is so thin and delicate.

Which begs the question, are our homes getting ever bigger or are we putting up or getting use to potentially uncomfortable viewing sizes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2019, 08:09:53 AM

Which begs the question, are our homes getting ever bigger or are we putting up or getting use to potentially uncomfortable viewing sizes.

Technically, if you want to actually see the HD resolution, you have to be fairly close to the TV or have a large enough TV, so it is not really a problem.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2019, 08:11:34 AM

Technically, if you want to actually see the HD resolution, you have to be fairly close to the TV or have a large enough TV, so it is not really a problem.

I was referring to the 'software', the way our biological eyes and brains build or respond to moving images.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

I put the new TV in more or less the same place as the old. Seems a much better viewing size; we haven't noticed any discomfort. So probably the previous one was too small for optimum viewing, rather than the current one being too large.

Mind you, I got the 55' screen rather than the 65' screen, as the latter may have been too big for the space/distance to screen.

There are guides for this: https://www.avu.ca/video/perfecting-proximity-finding-optimal-tv-viewing-distance/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

We were used to uncomfortably small viewing sizes ( or sitting on the floor three feet away). Even the large flat screens we have now take a much smaller portion of your field of vision than a movie theater screen.

The Brain

TV was a luxury. In my day us children would gather around the Volksempfänger. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 11:18:45 PM
I don't think our CRTs were any heavier than our current flat screens. Course, the screen was much smaller.

As a mover at UCSC I can tell you this is not true.  The glass front in a CRT is an impressive bulk and the final generation of CRTs were quite large.  While a plasma and early LCD TVs were heavy, the stuff now is far lighter (even if larger in footprint).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Key word: our. My family didn't have one of these monstrous CRTs some of you have mentioned. I was able to lift them unaided.