News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Does it just snap together, no glue?

When did Finland go from being a country of recklessly brave bumpkins to the coolest place on earth?

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2019, 04:07:23 PM

Just snapped together. As said, like Lego.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2019, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2019, 04:07:23 PM

Just snapped together. As said, like Lego.

:cool:

Syt, those look rather neat.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

So, it is normal practice to give an end of tenancy notice on one's old apartment before the new one's contract is signed? It sure seems like the assumption over here, but it sounds really silly.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 07:42:43 AM
So, it is normal practice to give an end of tenancy notice on one's old apartment before the new one's contract is signed? It sure seems like the assumption over here, but it sounds really silly.

Quebec residential lease are standard & auto-renew automatically unless the tenant signifies that he will not return. So effectively, yes. The old one gets canceled month in advance of the new one being signed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 07:42:43 AM

I'm not sure. I've only had it happen once in UK and then I did give my landlord notice first because conditions in the flat were just not tenable/my landlord was very nice and personable.

That said, I think I've been seeing two month notice periods, so presumably I'd always have to give notice before I found a new flat to rent unless managed to coordinate a rental 2 months prior to move in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Well, the idea of effectively having no guaranteed place to live in, is too uncertain for my idea.

We lucked out because the nice new place we found will become available in two months time, same as our notice period for the current one.

It is just a bit frustrating presently, because I am waiting for the new estate agents to be bothered to finalise the contract, before we sign out of the current one. And clearly, the new ones look at their calendar and say "well I still have two months to sort this one out!", whereas I'd like to have it done in a day or two.

I am fighting my urge to e-mail them (again). I want to hold it off until tomorrow morning.

Bloody agents.

Josquius

In my experience in the UK its quite normal to have a month where you're renting two places.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2019, 09:36:36 AM
In my experience in the UK its quite normal to have a month where you're renting two places.

That doesn't sound very affordable. Particularly if they don't give you back at least a majority of your deposit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 08:46:05 AM
Well, the idea of effectively having no guaranteed place to live in, is too uncertain for my idea.

We lucked out because the nice new place we found will become available in two months time, same as our notice period for the current one.

It is just a bit frustrating presently, because I am waiting for the new estate agents to be bothered to finalise the contract, before we sign out of the current one. And clearly, the new ones look at their calendar and say "well I still have two months to sort this one out!", whereas I'd like to have it done in a day or two.

I am fighting my urge to e-mail them (again). I want to hold it off until tomorrow morning.

Bloody agents.

Maybe check if it is legal? Over here a two-month notice is regularly part of the contract, but the law states it's only a single month.
You can ignore it even if it's in the contract, although you'll risk an angry landlord.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on July 24, 2019, 09:40:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 08:46:05 AM

Bloody agents.

Maybe check if it is legal? Over here a two-month notice is regularly part of the contract, but the law states it's only a single month.
You can ignore it even if it's in the contract, although you'll risk an angry landlord.

Thanks, but I don't want to mess with our landlord. The agents? Sure, they have been useless and unfriendly, and I'd enjoy making as much trouble for them as I can. But the actual owner has been very cooperative and laid back through the long time we have been here. I won't antagonise her if I can avoid it.