News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Doubtful. Tim's maps are based on random bursts of inspiration, not on careful study of demographic figures.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

But why the arbitrary celtic union thing?
Seems more based on wishful thinking than fact.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on July 17, 2019, 02:57:20 AM

I'm pretty sure equalizing the population was the first priority, then come up with some vaguely appropriate name for the region.

Though I did first read Anglo-Mercia as "Anglo-'Merica"  :P

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 17, 2019, 06:11:56 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 17, 2019, 02:57:20 AM

I'm pretty sure equalizing the population was the first priority, then come up with some vaguely appropriate name for the region.

Though I did first read Anglo-Mercia as "Anglo-'Merica"  :P

Pretty sure fan wank was a big piece. There's no real reason equalized populations required them to fit all those' celtic' regions together.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

They had similar languages.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 17, 2019, 10:12:48 AM
They had similar languages.

Well they all currently speak English so they still do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 17, 2019, 11:12:30 AM
Not Brittany.

At least Brittany got Nantes (Vendée) back. That has to count for something.

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 16, 2019, 05:45:33 PM
Doubtful. Tim's maps are based on random bursts of inspiration, not on careful study of demographic figures.

They did a very good job, not sure about the choice of cities though.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 17, 2019, 11:12:30 AM
Not Brittany.

Good catch. I didn't see that at the bottom.

Well why isn't Galicia included? Not celtic enough?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2019, 01:29:21 PM
Well why isn't Galicia included? Not celtic enough?

Probably.  That's why they got kicked out of the Celtic League.
QuoteIn 1986, Galicia joined Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, Brittany and the Isle of Man to become the seventh member of the Celtic League, a political and cultural organisation. The decision to accept Galicia as a member caused shrieks of protest: it wrecked the "linguistic criterion" of membership, which put language at the core of Celtic identity. Unlike Irish or Breton, the Celtic language spoken in Galicia is lost to history. A year later, Galicia had been ejected from the league.
https://www.economist.com/prospero/2017/05/09/galicias-disputed-celtic-heritage

FunkMonk

Looks like a Total War campaign map reject.

MP anyone? I call the the Celtic Union.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

If those are the only countries and the gray areas are made into TI, I'd go for Baltica.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien