News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Seriously, the US incarceration rate is a big minus.

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 18, 2019, 02:52:52 PM

Locking up everyone isn't the solution.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 18, 2019, 02:51:51 PM

That's not fair.

They incarcerate a very large portion of their poor population so they have a roof and three meals.

sorry valmy, just joking :console:

Hey no need to apologize for making a factual statement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on June 18, 2019, 02:54:00 PM

I don't know - I don't think we've really tried it yet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 03:19:51 PM

Machiavelli fanbois are the worst. :rolleyes:

Malthus

I'm not sure whether to laugh or be scared.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

:lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2019, 03:29:03 PM

I'm not sure whether to laugh or be scared.  :hmm:

:shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Not for those of us who aren't in prison.

Some of the stuff being posted in this thread is just pointless.  Like the ranking I see sometimes of the best and worst US states to live in, where often the criteria includes things like percentage of the population who smoke tobacco products or the percentage who are obese.  OK, sure, from a health POV, smoking and obesity are bad for you, but those things are about your behavior, not the behavior of your neighbors.  You can live somewhere where only 2% of the population smoke or are obese, but if you're part of that 2%, you're not any better off than you would be if you lived somewhere where 98% of the population smokes and is obese;  conversely, if 98% of the population in your state smokes and is obese, but you don't smoke and aren't obese, you're no worse off for living there.  Obviously, of course, some metrics do matter regardless of your personal behavior--for example, things like the quality of public transportation and the ratio of medical doctors to population.

The Brain

Quote from: dps on June 18, 2019, 03:50:26 PM
if 98% of the population in your state smokes and is obese, but you don't smoke and aren't obese, you're no worse off for living there. 

Sure, if you have an Ahab level obsession with whaling.

crazy canuck

You can live somewhere where only 2% of the population smoke or are obese, but if you're part of that 2%, you're not any better off than you would be if you lived somewhere where 98% of the population smokes and is obese;

If you live where health care, income level, availability of leisure time and ready access to healthy foods and regulation of unhealthy foods is such that your jurisdiction has only a 2% obesity rate, then those 2% certainly have a better quality of life (even though obese) than the hell hole that has 98% obesity.  The only reason it would get that high is if all the above metrics were shit.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 04:02:30 PM
You can live somewhere where only 2% of the population smoke or are obese, but if you're part of that 2%, you're not any better off than you would be if you lived somewhere where 98% of the population smokes and is obese;

If you live where health care, income level, availability of leisure time and ready access to healthy foods and regulation of unhealthy foods is such that your jurisdiction has only a 2% obesity rate, then those 2% certainly have a better quality of life (even though obese) than the hell hole that has 98% obesity.  The only reason it would get that high is if all the above metrics were shit.

Whooooosh
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Day 3 of my trip to Dokdo.

The boat trip to Ullengdo yesterday was horrific. Never been really seasick like that before. :yucky:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2019, 05:06:08 PM
Day 3 of my trip to Dokdo.

The boat trip to Ullengdo yesterday was horrific. Never been really seasick like that before. :yucky:

You're trusting to the power of The Train to cause Korean-Japanese tensions, thus drawing Trump away from the escalation in the Gulf? :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"