News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 01:46:15 PM
Why? You don't enjoy the glories of Generica and its amazing chain stores and restaurants?

It was best summed up by an American I met at Yosemite:

QuoteThe US is the richest Third World country in the globe.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on June 18, 2019, 01:49:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 01:46:15 PM
Why? You don't enjoy the glories of Generica and its amazing chain stores and restaurants?

It was best summed up by an American I met at Yosemite:

QuoteThe US is the richest Third World country in the globe.

Okay, so a nonsense person?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Yeah I don't get that....unless we are talking about Louisiana specifically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2019, 12:20:50 PM
Social Democracy breaks elevators.

Sebastian Kurz and Strache are Social-Democrats ?!

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 01:58:34 PM

As my gf said, (Western) Europeans are sheltered. And she's right.

I don't want to live somewhere where your family can go bankrupt if you get sick. Where zealots drive the political agenda. Where I need to watch out where I am. Where hundreds of mentally ill zombies piss and shit themselves on the streets (and no that wasn't Louisiana).

Just not my kind of culture. I'd rather stay inside the shelter.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on June 18, 2019, 02:11:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 01:58:34 PM

As my gf said, (Western) Europeans are sheltered. And she's right.

I don't want to live somewhere where your family can go bankrupt if you get sick. Where zealots drive the political agenda. Where I need to watch out where I am. Where hundreds of mentally ill zombies piss and shit themselves on the streets (and no that wasn't Louisiana).

Just not my kind of culture. I'd rather stay inside the shelter.

I think Valmy and Garbon are missing the point of referring to the third world.  It is not that rich americans have a third world standard of living.  It is that poor americans do. 

Malthus

I think the notion that an illness can bankrupt you or go untreated if you are poor is particularly frightening to non-Americans.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Plus getting shot. Although there was a shooting at the parade yesterday so maybe I shouldn't judge lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 02:21:23 PM
I think Valmy and Garbon are missing the point of referring to the third world.  It is not that rich americans have a third world standard of living.  It is that poor americans do. 

Rich people in third world countries do not have a third world standard of living either. I don't think that was what we were saying. I guess I was thinking about stability of institutions and all that.

And while I think we should do more for the poor it is a bit ridiculous to suggest there is no welfare or safety net at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 02:31:37 PM

Rich people in third world countries do not have a third world standard of living either.

That is the point  ;)

edit: how does the US treat its non rich population?  About as well as a third world nation.

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2019, 02:27:18 PM
I think the notion that an illness can bankrupt you or go untreated if you are poor is particularly frightening to non-Americans.

Especially one with a chronic disease which only responds to expensive biologics.  :yes:

The Brain

Rich people in third world countries do not have a third world standard of living either.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 02:33:49 PM
edit: how does the US treat its non rich population?  About as well as a third world nation.

:rolleyes:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 02:42:04 PM

:rolleyes:

No head in the sand emoji for you to use?

HVC

That is the point  ;)

That's not fair.

They incarcerate a very large portion of their poor population so they have a roof and three meals.

sorry valmy, just joking :console:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.