Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 2828905 times)

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #70845 on: June 14, 2019, 11:22:04 am »
Here's an unexpected growth industry.
Ninja-ing

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/05/jobs-available-ninjas-2505-2006/327924/

Need another confirmation that the world of programming is as nerdy as you suspected? Well, today we learn tech employers want recruits to think that they'll be hired as ninjas or Jedis, like we're all living in Kill Bill or Star Wars or something. Just take a look at the 2,505 percent overall increase in the number of jobs described with the word "ninja" since May 2006, according to job site Indeed.com. Similar rises in the number of job listings with "rock star"/"rockster" (810 percent) or with "Jedi" (67 percent) happened since then too.

What's happened here, clearly, is not an increase in demand of the throwing star- or lightsaber-welding set. As The Wall Street Journal notes, this tracks the popularity of buzzwords companies like to use to brand themselves as "cool." Microsoft, for instance, apparently has a soft spot for hiring "evangelists."

Well let them describe their open positions as they will. But still, despite all the Wiis and foosball tables these tech firms keep around the office, a newly-hired coder will be spending their days in a chair in front of a computer all day just like the rest of us paper pushers and spreadsheet monkeys.

Can confirm; my office has pool table. Today was the first time I saw people having an actual game.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #70846 on: June 14, 2019, 11:38:21 am »
Yeah, I wrote a paper about a very large Spanish company last year, and they did have "ninjas" as part of their workforce. They were milennial types they hired to mentor more senior members in agile/digital ways of working.

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Embrace the solitude
« Reply #70847 on: June 16, 2019, 08:24:16 am »
More of this please:

This is Rotherham where council have planted 8 miles of wild flower verges. It has saved 25k in mowing costs. These photos posted by British Beekeeping Association!
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

• Naked Mole Rat
« Reply #70848 on: June 16, 2019, 09:05:14 am »
More of this please:

Yes please. Mown grass is the worst.

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Embrace the solitude
« Reply #70849 on: June 16, 2019, 09:50:33 am »
More of this please:

Yes please. Mown grass is the worst.

Indeed.

The local councils around here have an obsession with mowing down to a few cms every couple of weeks; if they left the play fields around town, they'd be naturally occurring flowers and meadow plants.  <_<

grumbler

• Blessed by Valmy
  • I'll sleep when I'm dead
« Reply #70850 on: June 16, 2019, 10:21:45 am »
Glad we have amateur experts here who are far more expert in road verge maintenance than the people who are the paid experts in the matter.  <_<
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Zoupa

• Sugar Glider
  • Debout, les damnÚs de la Terre...
« Reply #70851 on: June 16, 2019, 10:25:23 am »
Glad we have amateur experts here who are far more expert in road verge maintenance than the people who are the paid experts in the matter.  <_<

Seriously? Jesus Christ dude.

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #70852 on: June 16, 2019, 11:21:18 am »
Grumbler has his money invested in John Deere.
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #70853 on: June 16, 2019, 12:23:00 pm »
planted 8 miles of wild flower verges

:unsure:
You are gay.

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #70854 on: June 16, 2019, 12:50:34 pm »

I thank you for deferring to my experience in the matter.  In Jefferson City we mowed pretty much everything once a week.  On state property they used prison labor to plant flowers.  Not the same extent as those pictures though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

• Naked Mole Rat
« Reply #70855 on: June 16, 2019, 01:41:51 pm »

So you're saying the paid experts disagreed about the new road verge vegetation in Rotherham? They told you this when you talked to them?

DGuller

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #70856 on: June 16, 2019, 02:21:05 pm »
Pretty much every subject we talk about has experts in its field, of which few if any post on Languish.  It would be a very boring forum if one were to refrain from posting an opinion on anything that is not one's area of expertise.

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #70857 on: June 16, 2019, 02:24:04 pm »

Seriously? Jesus Christ dude.

No need to worry, there are plenty of places in Surrey where vegetation is left to grow blocking views at roundabouts/crossroads.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #70858 on: June 16, 2019, 03:30:38 pm »
I defer to the expertise of the Rotherham School for Advanced Roadside Studies.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Embrace the solitude
« Reply #70859 on: June 16, 2019, 04:37:18 pm »
I defer to the expertise of the Rotherham School for Advanced Roadside Studies.

How did you hear about my alma mater?