News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Does the phrase  'wagging the dog .' mean anything special in America, here I can only guess it might refer to the book/film 'Wag the Dog'  Anyone?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Well, yes.  We have nothing beyond speculation at this point.  Most of the fingers are pointed at Iran, but I can't think of a motive for it.  The only thing I can think of is that mines were put in the wrong place or someone fucked up a military exercise.  If it is accidental it could be anyone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2019, 07:49:17 PM
Does the phrase  'wagging the dog .' mean anything special in America, here I can only guess it might refer to the book/film 'Wag the Dog'  Anyone?

The tail wagging the dog is an old expression.

The Brain

If it's a mine, what's the chances it's a relic from the bad old days?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

I have no idea who is planting the mines; 5 years ago I would have placed faith in the US version of events, not now.

Saladin

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 14, 2019, 02:28:34 AM
I have no idea who is planting the mines; 5 years ago I would have placed faith in the US version of events, not now.

Or it could be IRGC Navy commander pissed of that the sanctions are hurting his pocket? But yeah, that videoclip is a bit meh.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2019, 07:49:17 PM

Yes. It means the Indians are controlling the Chief.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

It could easily be the Saudis.

The incompetence of it would be explained at least. :P

Saladin

Quote from: Tamas on June 14, 2019, 06:28:54 AM

Or perhaps one of the PMC:s working for them?
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

dps

Quote from: Saladin on June 14, 2019, 06:39:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 14, 2019, 06:28:54 AM

Or perhaps one of the PMC:s working for them?

Plateau Medical Center?

Josquius

Here's an unexpected growth industry.
Ninja-ing

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/05/jobs-available-ninjas-2505-2006/327924/

QuoteNeed another confirmation that the world of programming is as nerdy as you suspected? Well, today we learn tech employers want recruits to think that they'll be hired as ninjas or Jedis, like we're all living in Kill Bill or Star Wars or something. Just take a look at the 2,505 percent overall increase in the number of jobs described with the word "ninja" since May 2006, according to job site Indeed.com. Similar rises in the number of job listings with "rock star"/"rockster" (810 percent) or with "Jedi" (67 percent) happened since then too.

What's happened here, clearly, is not an increase in demand of the throwing star- or lightsaber-welding set. As The Wall Street Journal notes, this tracks the popularity of buzzwords companies like to use to brand themselves as "cool." Microsoft, for instance, apparently has a soft spot for hiring "evangelists."

Well let them describe their open positions as they will. But still, despite all the Wiis and foosball tables these tech firms keep around the office, a newly-hired coder will be spending their days in a chair in front of a computer all day just like the rest of us paper pushers and spreadsheet monkeys.

Can confirm; my office has pool table. Today was the first time I saw people having an actual game.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Yeah, I wrote a paper about a very large Spanish company last year, and they did have "ninjas" as part of their workforce. They were milennial types they hired to mentor more senior members in agile/digital ways of working.

mongers

More of this please:

This is Rotherham where council have planted 8 miles of wild flower verges. It has saved 25k in mowing costs. These photos posted by British Beekeeping Association!

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2019, 08:24:16 AM
More of this please:

Yes please. Mown grass is the worst.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on June 16, 2019, 09:05:14 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2019, 08:24:16 AM
More of this please:

Yes please. Mown grass is the worst.

Indeed.

The local councils around here have an obsession with mowing down to a few cms every couple of weeks; if they left the play fields around town, they'd be naturally occurring flowers and meadow plants.  <_<