News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on June 12, 2019, 06:05:52 PM
Today in the supermarket I overheard an interesting conversation between two people working there.
It seems some evil villainous manager has been trying to get them promoted.
I recall one saying "I told her outright. If anyone tries to promote me I'll quit right there and then".
Strange world we live in.

Not really, mundane supervisory jobs in the retail sector often come with very little more than minimum wages, set against onerous additional responsibilities. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on June 12, 2019, 06:05:52 PM
Today in the supermarket I overheard an interesting conversation between two people working there.
It seems some evil villainous manager has been trying to get them promoted.
I recall one saying "I told her outright. If anyone tries to promote me I'll quit right there and then".
Strange world we live in.

Odd yes but a promotion to a supervisor might also include more work, responsibility, paper work, meetings, odd hours all without enough pay to make up for it all.

dps

An hourly supervisory position most likely will not bring in enough additional pay to justify the increased stress and responsibilities that go with it, at least not on its own.  However, it can be a step towards getting a salaried position, which usually will bring in enough pay to justify the extra crap that goes with it.

Richard Hakluyt

Tax credits have greatly distorted the lower end of the UK jobs market. It may be that the person you overheard receives tax credits; if that was the case then they would be facing an effective marginal tax rate of 80% or more on the extra income.

Saladin

Quote from: grumbler on June 12, 2019, 03:21:20 PM
Good to see you, Sal.  Hope you stick around.

I'm sticking around. :)
Also talked to Lucidor and he's going to make a comeback too.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Saladin

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2019, 02:44:39 AM
Tax credits have greatly distorted the lower end of the UK jobs market. It may be that the person you overheard receives tax credits; if that was the case then they would be facing an effective marginal tax rate of 80% or more on the extra income.

Long time no hear old chap!
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Richard Hakluyt

Hello Sal  :cool:

Must have been 10 years, welcome back!

Saladin

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2019, 05:05:21 AM
Hello Sal  :cool:

Must have been 10 years, welcome back!

Give or take. :D

Thanks!

Razgovory

Someone just shot up two tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2019, 11:45:58 AM
Someone just shot up two tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.

Well it was a fair few hours ago, but who ever is responsible is gunning for a wider middle east war.   :hmm:

Razgovory

Navy is claiming it is a mine.  I can't understand why someone would do something like that.  Why would anyone want to trigger another war in the Middle East?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2019, 02:22:18 PM
Navy is claiming it is a mine.  I can't understand why someone would do something like that.  Why would anyone want to trigger another war in the Middle East?

I mean people do all sorts of things in the Middle East that seem like things that are in nobody's best interests.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2019, 02:23:37 PM

I mean people do all sorts of things in the Middle East that seem like things that are in nobody's best interests.

Governments are typically a bit more hard nosed about that sort of thing than suicidal terrorists.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2019, 07:00:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2019, 02:23:37 PM

Governments are typically a bit more hard nosed about that sort of thing than suicidal terrorists.

One things for sure the Middle East will be even more awash with conspiracy theories over the next couple of weeks.   :secret: