News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saladin

Quote from: katmai on June 12, 2019, 01:29:11 AM
Yay, glad to see you back Sal. And the login worked for you.

It did! And thanks for the help!  :)
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Saladin

Hey Syt!

So, what's new here? Or what's going on?
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Agelastus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 11, 2019, 09:09:39 PM
If we're just getting one English dude back, I'd rather see Sheilbh.

What happened to Sheilbh? Did he just stop posting one day?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on June 12, 2019, 06:31:13 AM

I'd guess he figured posting here was a big time sink, given how long, eloquent and thoughtful his posts were.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2019, 06:36:21 AM

I'd guess he figured posting here was a big time sink, given his how long, eloquent and thoughtful his posts were.

Yes, he was annoyingly level-headed, and refused to devolve into arguing over semantics for 6 pages.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Habbaku

Arkestra (?) was always cool, too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Good to see you, Sal.  Hope you stick around.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

citizen k

It's getting hot in Hong Kong,
https://www.reuters.tv/v/PQi0/2019/06/12/hong-kong-extradition-bill-protests-turn-to-chaos
May you live in interesting times.

P.S.
    Stay safe Mono.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Today in the supermarket I overheard an interesting conversation between two people working there.
It seems some evil villainous manager has been trying to get them promoted.
I recall one saying "I told her outright. If anyone tries to promote me I'll quit right there and then".
Strange world we live in.
██████
██████
██████