News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I don't get it how taxi guilds have so much pull over politicians.

celedhring

Like all transportation, they have an extremely disproportionate effect on people's lives when they do strike.

Admiral Yi

And that disproportionate impact is a function of the legal monopoly granted them by the state.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2019, 04:57:15 PM
And that disproportionate impact is a function of the legal monopoly granted them by the state.

Well, in the particular case of taxi, their problem is that with Uber et al around they don't have that monopoly anymore. Hence the "park hundreds of taxis in the city's busiest streets" tactic. No conventional police force can evict them. I wish at least they got some parking fines, though...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2019, 05:01:18 PM
Well, in the particular case of taxi, their problem is that with Uber et al around they don't have that monopoly anymore. Hence the "park hundreds of taxis in the city's busiest streets" tactic. No conventional police force can evict them. I wish at least they got some parking fines, though...

They could if they had the will.  A couple tow trucks, a couple coppers writing tickets.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2019, 04:45:42 PM
I don't get it how taxi guilds have so much pull over politicians.

Look how much pull they have over people like GF. That's how.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2019, 05:13:04 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2019, 05:01:18 PM

They could if they had the will.  A couple tow trucks, a couple coppers writing tickets.

Came to say what Yi did and he beat me to it. If the police wanted to end it, they could do so.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on January 20, 2019, 05:37:03 PM
Came to say what Yi did and he beat me to it. If the police wanted to end it, they could do so.
My guess is that police union might not look kindly on being asked to enforce laws.

mongers

Philosophy - 'Picking arguments with dead people'?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

So today the ridesharers have decided to take the field too. The taxi drivers are blocking the second busiest road in town, and the ridesharers are trying to block the busiest. But the ridesharers have mobilized less divisions and are only able to block half the lanes.

Thank god I don't drive into town. I suppose the subway will be packed to hell, though.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

I have no idea what that GenZ sentence means. I am: old and out of touch  :cool:

Admiral Yi

Tide pods are these gell capsules filled with laundry detergent.  They're pretty handy. 

I'm guessing yeeting into traffic is something like jumping into a traffic lane from the sidewalk on a motorized scooter.

Syt

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/yeet/

QuoteYEET! The yeet is a viral 2014 dance involving moving your shoulders and slightly bent legs together with arms outstretched. It inspired various memes and popularized yeet as an expression of excitement.

:unsure:

Re: Tide pods, there was a "challenge" to eat them because they look so delicious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumption_of_Tide_Pods#%22Tide_Pod_Challenge%22
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ah, the non-permanence of the internet. Machinima content of 7 years ... gone.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/machinima-takes-down-every-video-following-takeover/?utm_content=bufferff085&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

QuoteMachinima takes down every video following takeover

Content creators were as surprised as we were.

In a surprise move, the long-running, multi-channel network Machinima has taken down the entire library of videos from its YouTube channel.

The decision has come as a surprise to the content creators too, who it seems weren't informed of the move and found out only when the videos disappeared from the channel on Friday.

Rooster Teeth's Lawrence Sonntag, one of the first to noticed the videos had been taken down, took to Twitter with a screenshot of the Machinima channel with every video set to private.

Actress and gamer, Felicia Day also had a few words to say as she mourned her Dragon Age web series: "I guess my Dragon Age web series is now gone with the Machinima video purge :( grab the DVDs while you can not sure it will ever be online again. RIP Machinima." Ricky (Internet Today!) was another that took to Twitter with "Wow... they finally went ahead and deleted everything we'd ever done. 7+ Years of work... lost to the sands of time. #RIPMachinima."

"We are focused on creating new content with the Machinima team, which will be distributed on new channels to be announced in the coming months." said Otter Media, in a statement to Kotaku following the video removal. "In the meantime the Machinima network of creator channels continues to showcase the talents of the network. As part of this focus on new content, we have pivoted from distributing content on a handful of legacy operated channels."

We've reached out to Fullscreen Media and will update as soon as we have anything further to report.

Guess someone just wanted to brand and nothing else. Though did anyone still follow Machinima these days? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould