News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Why do countries have insane taxi regulations? Sweden stopped that crap in 1990.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2019, 06:17:31 PM
Why do countries have insane taxi regulations? Sweden stopped that crap in 1990.

Patronage politics.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Fun Fact -

The names /Melissa/ and /Deborah/ actually have the same meaning... (bee)

Melissa is from the Greek language and Deborah is from the Hebrew language.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

mongers

Quote from: AnchorClanker on January 19, 2019, 05:24:41 AM
Fun Fact -

So that's your wife's name and your nickname for her.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

So you're saying even the ancients appreciated a killer ass
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2019, 08:13:38 AM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on January 19, 2019, 05:24:41 AM
Fun Fact -

So that's your wife's name and your nickname for her.   :P

Negative, Ghostrider.  Been reading a fair amount of Semitic linguistics and early religion lately, noticed that both were related.  Her name is not going to be disclosed here, as she's not on the board and all that.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: HVC on January 19, 2019, 08:17:50 AM
So you're saying even the ancients appreciated a killer ass

Giggity.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2019, 06:05:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 18, 2019, 05:03:12 PM
They've opened a Taco Bell in Newcastle.
I am teh excited.

I don't understand. :huh:

Its not something  that is traditionally seen in the UK, or indeed Europe. I've only ever encountered it in Korea before.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2019, 08:33:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2019, 06:05:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 18, 2019, 05:03:12 PM
They've opened a Taco Bell in Newcastle.
I am teh excited.

I don't understand. :huh:

Its not something  that is traditionally seen in the UK, or indeed Europe. I've only ever encountered it in Korea before.

There's one in Southampton 20 mile from here, been there for a fair few years. I bet there's also one in Portsmouth, at the very least any place that has lots of US sailors.  :D

Edit

I had a search and apparently there are three in the conurbation here, Bm'th/Poole, there's even one in Salisbury!

Further research suggests just before the NCB was gutted by the Tories, it was mandated that every town that didn't have a coal mine must have a taco bell. Hence Tyr's confusion about only just starting to encounter them.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2019, 12:14:14 PM
You'll remember Barcelona's taxi strike from this past summer, which I posted about. The Catalan government has finally issued today the new regulations they demanded, limiting Uber-like services. However, apparently the new regulations are not limiting enough for their tastes so...

Barcelona's second busiest thoroughfare, right now.

Gf lost her train thanks to those fuckers. I'm not sure pissing off your clientele was the best move here.

Josquius

Checking their site I see 35 country-wide. Not many at all compared to the McDonalds level ubiquity I understand it has in the US.
Seems to be only just this past decade they've started appearing, before that they just sat on US military bases.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2019, 09:05:53 AM
Checking their site I see 35 country-wide. Not many at all compared to the McDonalds level ubiquity I understand it has in the US.
Seems to be only just this past decade they've started appearing, before that they just sat on US military bases.

Yes I read that too.

Not a food joint I have ever paid attention to, Tyr thanks for bringing it to my attention.  :)

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2019, 09:05:53 AM

Yeah, they started up some expansion recently. I know they recently opened a few new locations in London.

That said, avoid it like the plague. No good comes out of eating Taco Bell.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I tried it.
It wasn't bad. The chips were nice. Though the tacos were a bit on the small side.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The taxi strike goes on, although being a weekend transit in the city has been low. The regional government has already made concessions but apparently they aren't enough and the strike will continue. The largest taxi union has said that tomorrow they will step up the protests, calling them "The Hunger Games".

Also, they have begun donning yellow vests. :rolleyes: