News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Someone scheduled a practice for my hockey team at 8:30 tonight.  Outside.  Temperature is supposed to be -19c (with a "feels like -28c windchill).  Half the team is going according to Team Snap, but the other half is not.

I'm conflicted.

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Threviel

Well, are you Canadian or not?

Admiral Yi

Man up frostback.  You're the one always squealing about how much you like winter.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2019, 04:00:16 PM
Man up frostback.  You're the one always squealing about how much you like winter.

Yeah, but -28c is -14f.  That's pretty damn cold.

celedhring

You'll remember Barcelona's taxi strike from this past summer, which I posted about. The Catalan government has finally issued today the new regulations they demanded, limiting Uber-like services. However, apparently the new regulations are not limiting enough for their tastes so...

Barcelona's second busiest thoroughfare, right now.

Habbaku

The yellow-door mafia won't be happy until Uber-like services are banned, presumably?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Pretty much. The new regulations are pretty crippling and make these services much less convenient to use, but won't kill them outright.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2019, 04:04:40 PM

Practice was cancelled anyways.

Admiral Yi

Barthelona seems like a pretty ideal city for scooters. 

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2019, 12:48:44 PM
Barthelona seems like a pretty ideal city for scooters.

It is. Way too ideal, in some senses. Fuckers are everywhere, including the sidewalks.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2019, 12:59:51 PM
It is. Way too ideal, in some senses. Fuckers are everywhere, including the sidewalks.

Don't be a hater.  One of my favorite things about southern Europe is miniskirts on scooters.

Threviel

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2019, 12:18:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2019, 04:04:40 PM

Practice was cancelled anyways.

-14 degrees, pffft, that's just slightly och the chilly side.

Malthus

Going to be -28 (with chill) tomorrow, and Carl has biathlon scheduled. To my mind, that's too cold for biathlon.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on January 18, 2019, 12:15:15 PM
The yellow-door mafia won't be happy until Uber-like services are banned, presumably?

The only reasonable stance to take when considering the gig-economy app companies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.