Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 2937994 times)

PDH

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Consul for the year 2767
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #69060 on: January 14, 2019, 05:02:34 pm »
I used to make stovetop espresso, now I just make a Peet's coffee in a press - equally quick
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #69061 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:02 pm »
Stovetop espresso is much better than instant and equally quick/cheap. Not sure how available it is outside of civilised coffee nations though.

Well they are available in the UK, so doesn't explain that.

To be honest, I suspect a big part is that it's the coffee-making method most similar to making tea.

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #69062 on: January 14, 2019, 05:05:31 pm »
I used to make stovetop espresso, now I just make a Peet's coffee in a press - equally quick

We probably need to fully open this can of worms and make a "favorite way of making coffee" thread.

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #69063 on: January 14, 2019, 05:11:04 pm »
In new bizarre political news from Spain, it has been revealed today that our brand of neofascists, Vox, were bankrolled in the 2014 European elections by none others than the Iranian People's Mujahedeens, the most active opposition group to the Islamic Republic of Iran, and who were labeled a terrorist organization by the US and the EU until 2012 and 2009 respectively.

Trump still hasn't got the Mexicans to pay for the wall and these dudes already have muslims paying for their xenophobic party. Respect.

Maladict

• Naked Mole Rat
« Reply #69064 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:49 pm »

Lots of ways to make coffee that are cheap and doesn't take a long time (though not quite so fast as instant).  All of them require more equipment than I have available in my office, which is a microwave and a kettle.

If you have a kettle, go with a French press. If possible combined with a coffee grinder.

dps

• Octogon Champion
  • aa's boobs
« Reply #69065 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:26 am »
Perculator for me.  Don't much like drip coffeemakers.

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #69066 on: January 15, 2019, 02:23:53 am »
I usually do drip coffee, and for cold brew in summer I have an infusor.
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Threviel

• Tainted by Tim
« Reply #69067 on: January 15, 2019, 02:44:56 am »
Drip coffee is the thing, especially with a good Moccamaster brewer. Apparently there's a whole science to temperature and flow and Moccamaster does it perfect for my taste.

For espresso i had (have, but now it's in the garage for garage-coffee) a Nespresso machine. Sure, it's not as good as a perfect espresso, but I can't make that anyway.

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #69068 on: January 15, 2019, 03:03:42 am »
My brother bought me a Nespresso machine for my birthday, and I admit I use it more than it should. I still prefer stovetop espresso (maybe because I'm so used to it, but it seems to have more body to me), but the thing is so damn convenient.  Push button, get coffee.

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #69069 on: January 15, 2019, 03:09:39 am »
Had this ad pop up for me on a website. :D

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Threviel

• Tainted by Tim
« Reply #69070 on: January 15, 2019, 03:12:16 am »
My brother bought me a Nespresso machine for my birthday, and I admit I use it more than it should. I still prefer stovetop espresso (maybe because I'm so used to it, but it seems to have more body to me), but the thing is so damn convenient.  Push button, get coffee.

Yeah, I have an old one with a proper steam-thing (nowadays they have a hose in a glass of milk thing) so I can make Cappuccinos. I'm too lazy to do it often, but when I do it they are amongst the best I've tasted.

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #69071 on: January 15, 2019, 03:44:01 am »
Had this ad pop up for me on a website. :D

Yeah, it's a VR game they made to promote tourism. It's tacky beyond belief, but the renders of the places are nice.

dps

• Octogon Champion
  • aa's boobs
« Reply #69072 on: January 15, 2019, 03:46:40 am »

Yeah, I have an old one with a proper steam-thing (nowadays they have a hose in a glass of milk thing) so I can make Cappuccinos. I'm too lazy to do it often, but when I do it they are amongst the best I've tasted.

Wish my mom still had her cappucino machine.  :(

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #69073 on: January 15, 2019, 04:03:47 am »
At home I am using a Delonghi espresso machine, one that works with ground coffee. Awesome espressos and its a compact little machine, too.

At work I was mostly putting up with the cheap instant sawdust labelled coffee that we had on stock, but switched to a pretty nice cafeterie(sp?) MUG. Very convenient. But I think I had been overdosing on caffeine in general lately, so I have switched to a routine of espresso in the morning at home, and tea at work. Except I bring my own tea filters because the English use milk and thus don't need the actual tea to have any semblence of taste.

Threviel

• Tainted by Tim
« Reply #69074 on: January 15, 2019, 05:00:56 am »
At home I am using a Delonghi espresso machine, one that works with ground coffee. Awesome espressos and its a compact little machine, too.

At work I was mostly putting up with the cheap instant sawdust labelled coffee that we had on stock, but switched to a pretty nice cafeterie(sp?) MUG. Very convenient. But I think I had been overdosing on caffeine in general lately, so I have switched to a routine of espresso in the morning at home, and tea at work. Except I bring my own tea filters because the English use milk and thus don't need the actual tea to have any semblence of taste.

I had a Siemens Surpresso machine that used ground beans and that you could do Espresso with. I tried absolutely everything, it never once made good cup of coffee, total shit. It cost something like €1000-1300 also, luckily someone gave it to me.

Edit: I wrote 100-130 first. That would perhaps have been what it was worth.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:35:13 am by Threviel »