Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 2751023 times)

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #69015 on: January 10, 2019, 04:45:12 pm »
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/orlando-williams-japanese-restaurant-norwich-1-5845867

‘I haven’t turned my house into a Japanese restaurant’, Norwich man claims

With a large illuminated sign at the front, a dedicated Facebook page and phone number, it has all the hallmarks of a restaurant.

But owner Orlando Williams today insists that his seven-bed house on Earlham Road in Norwich is not operating as a Japanese eatery.

Unhappy neighbours claim he has been running a restaurant inside the property since October last year without permission.

It has led to Norwich City Council investigating the premises over a possible breach of planning regulations.

But former restaurateur Mr Williams denies the allegations against him.

That is despite the installation of a large illuminated sign outside his house which reads “Orlando’s”.

The word “Sakura” is also printed above the front door, which is the same name as his previous Japanese restaurant on Ber Street.

When asked about the signage, Mr Williams said: “All I do, I have my name on my house.

“There is no restaurant there.”

In response to being asked about whether his property had been used as a restaurant, he added: “What you are saying to me is wrong.”

A Facebook page for the Sakura restaurant shows its location as the property on Earlham Road. The advertised restaurant number is also for Mr Williams.

When the number was called, a person who answered confirmed the restaurant was at the Earlham Road address.

Neighbours living around the property claim they were not informed about plans to turn the house into a restaurant.

Becky Greengrass, 45, said she only became aware when Mr Williams invited her husband to the launch party last year.

She said: “When my husband told me I was just dumbfounded. I could not believe it. We are all up in arms because he didn’t get planning permission for it.

“We thought surely we should have been notified.

“Then there is the god awful sign that has been put up. The amount of friends who drive past and ask me ‘what the hell has opened up next door to you’...”

Peter Wright, 67, who lives nearby, said he had already complained to the city council.

He said: “We just can’t understand what is going on. He has no planning permission to be a restaurant.

“I was a bit peeved off because it is a nice residential area around here.”

Neighbour Andrew Unwin added: “The restaurant appeared from nowhere. It’s hardly in keeping with this residential area and there appears to be no planning permission granted.”

Norwich City Council said it has made numerous visits to the property, but has not been able to establish whether or not it was being used as a working restaurant.

A council spokesman said the investigation was ongoing into possible planning related enforcement.

“We’re continuing to look into this,” the spokesman said.

Today (Thursday, January 10), the city council’s planning committee will decide on an application to turn the same property into a five-bedroom bed and breakfast.

The application has been recommend for approval.

There's a saga starting here and for some reason it really has me giggling
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

• Sugar Glider
  • Commissaire-ordonnateur
« Reply #69016 on: January 10, 2019, 06:28:22 pm »
Intergalactic radio signals picked up by Canadian telescope:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46811618

Astronomers have revealed details of mysterious signals emanating from a distant galaxy, picked up by a telescope in Canada.

The precise nature and origin of the blasts of radio waves is unknown.

Among the 13 fast radio bursts, known as FRBs, was a very unusual repeating signal, coming from the same source about 1.5 billion light years away.

Such an event has only been reported once before, by a different telescope.

"Knowing that there is another suggests that there could be more out there," said Ingrid Stairs, an astrophysicist from the University of British Columbia (UBC).

"And with more repeaters and more sources available for study, we may be able to understand these cosmic puzzles - where they're from and what causes them."

The CHIME observatory, located in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley, consists of four 100-metre-long, semi-cylindrical antennas, which scan the entire northern sky each day.

The telescope only got up and running last year, detecting 13 of the radio bursts almost immediately, including the repeater. The research has now been published in the journal Nature.

"We have discovered a second repeater and its properties are very similar to the first repeater," said Shriharsh Tendulkar of McGill University, Canada.

"This tells us more about the properties of repeaters as a population."

FRBs are short, bright flashes of radio waves, which appear to be coming from almost halfway across the Universe.

So far, scientists have detected about 60 single fast radio bursts and two that repeat. They believe there could be as many as a thousand FRBs in the sky every day.

There are a number of theories about what could be causing them.

They include a neutron star with a very strong magnetic field that is spinning very rapidly, two neutron stars merging together, and, among a minority of observers, some form of alien spaceship.

Que le grand cric me croque !

KRonn

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
« Reply #69017 on: January 10, 2019, 08:23:44 pm »
I've seen this reported. 1.5 billion years away! Many possible causes but even if from aliens then it'll be a while before we all have a meet up with a proper AAR follow up. ;) 

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #69018 on: January 11, 2019, 03:32:09 am »
Apparently AdBlock doesn't work on YouTube anymore. I have to watch a 2:40 hiphop video now. G4 Boyz "More Ice".
“Hello, I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. By true, I mean...false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end, isn't that the truth?

The answer is no.”

Liep

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Russia is fake news
« Reply #69019 on: January 11, 2019, 04:59:38 am »
Apparently AdBlock doesn't work on YouTube anymore. I have to watch a 2:40 hiphop video now. G4 Boyz "More Ice".

uBlock works still.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #69020 on: January 11, 2019, 05:26:50 am »
To tie in a bit with the veganism thread: is it ethical to block your content-providers (the web page owners) from getting compensated for their work? :P

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #69021 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:18 am »
To tie in a bit with the veganism thread: is it ethical to block your content-providers (the web page owners) from getting compensated for their work? :P

As long as it doesn't violate any user agreements or similar.
You are gay.

Savonarola

• WEREWOLVES BUILT MY PRIUS!
« Reply #69022 on: January 11, 2019, 10:31:33 am »
ELON MUSK PLANS TO MURDER US ALL!

Here Are the Odds That One of SpaceX’s Internet Satellites Will Hit Someone

In case you don't want to click on the link: 45% over a six year period according to the FCC.

I didn't know the FCC calculated risk of space debris hitting people for satellite communication systems.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • Not capturing Amiens.
« Reply #69023 on: January 11, 2019, 10:33:13 am »
YouGov decided to put data on the "Brits say the opposite of what they mean" meme.

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #69024 on: January 11, 2019, 10:35:56 am »
In the US there's a noticeable difference between "I hear what you are saying" and "I hear ya."  The second one always means "you're right."
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

FunkMonk

• Donald the Carpathian
« Reply #69025 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:50 am »
Sounds like Brits are just bad people.
"Funk is wronger by a couple orders of magnitude"

"Statistics are like mini-skirts. They give you good ideas, but hide the most important things."

We all know Funk is part of the Shallow State.

derspiess

• Blessed by Valmy
  • beer fixes everything
« Reply #69026 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:23 am »

In case you don't want to click on the link: 45% over a six year period according to the FCC.

I didn't know the FCC calculated risk of space debris hitting people for satellite communication systems.

Anyone remember Skylab?  That scared the crap out of me when I was about 6 years old.  My brothers told me it would probably land on our house.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #69027 on: January 11, 2019, 11:28:45 am »

How does that compare to the gun or car industries?
You are gay.

derspiess

• Blessed by Valmy
  • beer fixes everything
« Reply #69028 on: January 11, 2019, 11:33:06 am »
Plus nukular energy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #69029 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:46 am »

How does that compare to the gun or car industries?

The chance that a SpaceX satellite will hit the gun or car industries is much lower, about 1 percent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson