News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Happy International Credit Union Day!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: katmai on October 18, 2018, 06:02:48 PM
Happy Alaska Day.

I feel there should be a Happy 'Happy Day' Day.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

That's because you're a happy hippie.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The Swear Trek archives (Star Trek gifs with profanity). You're welcome.

https://sweartrek.tumblr.com/archive

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Two of my best friends are diehard trekkies. They'll love this  :lol:

Syt

Am I going crazy, or did Moon Patrol "borrow" the bassline from Wild Cherry's Play That Funky Music?

Moon Patrol:

https://youtu.be/6EptD9Egf7w?t=6

Wild Cherry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pHT9yYFdZg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Just had a co-worker say someone in our company "has a mind like a sieve", after complimenting them on their ability to retain knowledge :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2018, 11:09:24 AM
Just had a co-worker say someone in our company "has a mind like a sieve", after complimenting them on their ability to retain knowledge :huh:

It would work if they were complementing this person on their ability to separate useful knowledge from the rest.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2018, 11:18:18 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2018, 11:09:24 AM

It would work if they were complementing this person on their ability to separate useful knowledge from the rest.  ;)
I was going to say that.  The trick to having a good memory is being able to forget what doesn't need to be retained.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Pretty ironic given the situation in Gateshead.

celedhring

Couldn't find a source in English but this is too hilarious  :lol:

http://cadenaser.com/emisora/2018/10/15/radio_bilbao/1539622097_487351.html

In short:

1) A regional bodybuilding championship is held in northern Spain.
2) The anti-doping people show up, unannounced, and begin testing.
3) Nearly all of the competitors instantly drop out and the competition is cancelled  :lol:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

It's actually a decent play, the Sex Olympics play a very minor part in the story, which is actually centered on a reality show where they end up killing the participants to spike up the ratings. Could perfectly be a Black Mirror episode.