News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Looks like the Spanish government might fall. They've been besieged by corruption allegations, plus the Catalan issue hasn't done them any favors. Yesterday a court found the ruling party as a whole guilty* of corruption and there's a motion of no confidence in the works. It all rests on the liberal party (the conservatives run a minority government backed by the liberals), which has said that they want a snap election (they are currently leading the polls) or they will back the motion of no confidence.

There's still a decent chance that it just ends up with posturing and the conservatives getting a pass while the opposition point fingers at each other. In fact, wouldn't surprise me at all.

*I don't know the English legalese for it. They were found guilty of benefiting from others' criminal actions but not engaging in criminal action themselves or being aware of it.

Tamas

QuoteYesterday a court found the ruling party as a whole guilty* of corruption

dps

Quote from: celedhring on May 25, 2018, 05:26:44 AM

*I don't know the English legalese for it. They were found guilty of benefiting from others' criminal actions but not engaging in criminal action themselves or being aware of it.

In the U.S., that's called "not guilty".

celedhring

Quote from: dps on May 25, 2018, 04:52:04 PM

In the U.S., that's called "not guilty".

Well, they got a fine because they are expected as a party to be accountable for the moneys coming in not having illicit sources. And to be frank all points out that they knew and partook in it, but well, burden of proof and all that.

They have a like a dozen other scandals going on, anyway. Nearly the entire conservative cabinet from the early 2000s is either in jail or indicted.

mongers

Out yesterday checking on a bike of a younger friend, I tried to persuade her to take up an different form of transportation ....

a car.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

oh?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Drunk man took it upon himself to destroy one of Ilya Repin's most famous works because of its, according to Putin, questionable historical accuracy. I saw it in March and it's a fantastic work of art regardless of what actually killed the tsarevich.

:weep:

https://www.rferl.org/a/repin-s-ivan-the-terrible-painting-damaged-by-vandal/29251983.html
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Those Vandals are horrible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Byzantines got rid them of though.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Looks like the Spanish government might fall. They've been besieged by corruption allegations, plus the Catalan issue hasn't done them any favors. Yesterday a court found the ruling party as a whole guilty* of corruption and there's a motion of no confidence in the works. It all rests on the liberal party (the conservatives run a minority government backed by the liberals), which has said that they want a snap election (they are currently leading the polls) or they will back the motion of no confidence.

There's still a decent chance that it just ends up with posturing and the conservatives getting a pass while the opposition point fingers at each other. In fact, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Motion of no confidence taking place this Thursday-Friday. It looks like it will fail, though.

There was a gag in a Catalan TV show that depicts president Rajoy as Caesar in the Senate, with the opposition as the conspirators. Instead of stabbing Caesar they begin stabbing each other. That's pretty much how it works.

Josquius

I just saw a montage of American local news people doing crappy mock 'British' accents as they talked about the royal wedding.

An awful lot of them are saying cheerio for hello.

Just....wut?
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

:D  We've all been doing that for a couple weeks now. 

We've also been mocking your knife laws.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2018, 02:23:00 PM
:D  We've all been doing that for a couple weeks now. 

We've also been mocking your knife laws.

Yeah, I've seen that about, its bizzare.
A judge made a minor but not at all senseless suggestion of passing a law that knife tips should be rounded to reduce knife deaths; it certainly would have an impact but the question is would it be enough to be worth the bother of the legislation?
And...this is somehow hilarious and big news.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Okay we're not really doing much of either.  The knife law thing is a bit silly thought IMO.  I carry around a knife that has a 3 inch locking blade :o and use it as a pocket knife.  That'd get me nicked by the bobbies in no time in old Blighty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall