The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Maladict

Thanks!

They're back at half mast again though  :(

Admiral Yi

Quote A self-driving car from Uber Technologies Inc. struck a woman who died Monday in Tempe, Ariz., local police say, in what is believed to be the first known fatality of a pedestrian from a driverless vehicle.

Following the accident overnight, Uber is temporarily pulling its self-driving cars off the roads in Tempe, San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Toronto, where it is testing them, a spokeswoman said. She said Uber is investigating the incident and cooperating with authorities.

Tempe police said the Uber vehicle, which included a human operator to assist at the wheel, struck a woman while she was crossing the road outside of a crosswalk. The woman later died of her injuries, according to the police statement.

"Some incredibly sad news out of Arizona," wrote Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi on Twitter Monday. "We're thinking of the victim's family as we work with local law enforcement to understand what happened."

Both the National Transportation Safety Board and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said they were dispatching teams to Tempe to investigate the accident. NHTSA said it was contacting Uber, state and local authorities as well as Volvo, the car maker Uber relies on for its self-driving vehicles.

The first known fatality of a pedestrian by an autonomous vehicle threatens to stir regulators and damage public perception of driverless vehicles, a critical project for auto makers and technology companies who feel they can reduce deaths and costs by eliminating human error. Uber has called its self-driving-vehicle efforts "existential" and just wrapped up a costly lawsuit from rival Alphabet Inc. over allegedly stolen trade secrets.

Missy Cummings, a professor at Duke University, cautioned Congress in 2016 about companies rushing to put systems into widespread deployment and warned that a death could set back development of the potentially lifesaving technology.

"There is no question that someone is going to die in this technology," she said. "The question is when and what can we do to minimize that?"

Congress, trying to balance safety while encouraging technology development, has been mulling legislation to clear up regulatory questions about autonomous-vehicle deployment. The legislation appeared to be moving quickly until stalling in the Senate this year under concerns about the safety of the technology.

Tesla Inc. became the first auto maker to come under significant government scrutiny for a semi-autonomous driving system when a man driving one of its Model S electric cars operating with the company's Autopilot system died in a May 2016 collision with a truck on a Florida highway.

Ultimately, NHTSA concluded Tesla's technology didn't contain a safety defect while the NTSB decided that the company shared blame in the crash by failing to include enough safeguards.

Tesla has said Autopilot significantly makes its vehicles safer and that the company would continue to evaluate recommendations as the technology evolves while ensuring drivers understand the system doesn't render cars fully self-driving.

Monoriu

It is only a matter of time before a self-driving car causes a fatality.  The issue isn't whether they are perfect (they are obviously not).  The issue is they are better than human controlled cars, which cause lots of deaths every year. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on March 19, 2018, 08:42:23 PM
It is only a matter of time before a self-driving car causes a fatality.

:hmm:

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2018, 08:44:31 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 19, 2018, 08:42:23 PM
It is only a matter of time before a self-driving car causes a fatality.

:hmm:

Even if their chance of causing a fatality is 0.00001%, given enough self-driving cars and enough time on the roads, it is inevitable.  Unless the technology is perfect to begin with, and I don't think that is true. 

Admiral Yi

Dude, I just posted an article about an AI car killing someone. :mellow:

Tonitrus

Kinda figures it'd be one from a trashy company like Uber to bag the first kill.

Monoriu

Uber is our last, best hope to break the evil taxi monopoly  :hug:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 19, 2018, 09:09:04 PM

I highly doubt they are last. Taxis will be gone in a few decades.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Except that same taxi monopoly is created by the state...which now often dismisses it by allowing companies like Uber, but not actually deregulating their monopoly-creating practice (that being, taxi licenses).

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 19, 2018, 09:13:09 PM
Except that same taxi monopoly is created by the state...which now often dismisses it by allowing companies like Uber, but not actually deregulating their monopoly-creating practice (that being, taxi licenses).
Easier said than done, which is one of the more corrosive effects of excessive regulation.  Go try telling NYC cab medallion owners who used to shell out a million bucks for one that their investment is now rendered completely worthless.

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2018, 09:17:01 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 19, 2018, 09:13:09 PM
Easier said than done, which is one of the more corrosive effects of excessive regulation.  Go try telling NYC cab medallion owners who used to shell out a million bucks for one that their investment is now rendered completely worthless.

Oh, I agree...any government license/permit that ends up having pricing subject to market forces is a sure-fire route to corruption.  But then you cited NYC, so nothing new to report there.  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2018, 09:12:28 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 19, 2018, 09:09:04 PM

I highly doubt they are last. Taxis will be gone in a few decades.

I thought I have no choice but to stick to the "last, best hope" phrase  :blush:

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on March 19, 2018, 09:23:23 PM
I thought I have no choice but to stick to the "last, best hope" phrase  :blush:

It's your last, best hope for a good phrase.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!