The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on January 17, 2018, 08:51:07 PM
In local news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-42702459

Quote'Thomas Hardy' Wool Bridge collapses into River Frome

An Elizabethan bridge that features in Thomas Hardy's novel Tess of the D'Urbervilles has partially collapsed and been washed away.

Cracks began to appear on the Grade II* listed Wool Bridge, which crosses the River Frome in Dorset, on Thursday.

Since then the wall foundation has "slumped" and been washed away, a county council spokeswoman said.

The bridge has been closed to traffic for many years, except for pedestrians and cyclists, she added.

The council hoped to put large bags of aggregate into the river on Friday to help stop further erosion to the walls and to prevent damage to the arches.

"The longer-term plan for repair will be to wait until summer when the conditions are better, dam the affected area off, to allow it to dry out and we can see what has happened," the spokeswoman added.

A bridge is first recorded to have crossed this point of the river in 1343, though it is thought the current structure was built in the 16th Century, according to Historic England.

It features in Thomas Hardy's novel Tess of the d'Urbervilles due to its location next to Woolbridge Manor, the home of the d'Urberville family.

It was considered to be the best preserved Elizabethan bridge in Dorset.

:(

edit:

Oh  and the location around T.E.Lawrence's grave is under threat from gravel extraction plans.  :mad:

100% original or has it been repaired in the centuries since it was built?
As impressive it lasted so long and sad it finally fell.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2018, 03:52:50 AM

Oh I think you'll find most of these bridges get repaired and remodelled several times down the centuries, just a degree of how much.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2018, 06:57:40 AM

Oh I think you'll find most of these bridges get repaired and remodelled several times down the centuries, just a degree of how much.

Heh, I assume it is very much a "Ship of Theseus" situation ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Something I need to ask a Christian.
Just what counted as a species for Noah's ark.
I mean, just imagine.
Scene: outside Noah's ark, the animals are filing in as it starts to rain

Noah: sorry, we've already got two elephants, you'll have to turn back
Elephant: two elephants? Where from?
Noah: kenya
Elephant: oh, we are Asian elephants, totally different thing you know.
Noah's son: two Indian elephants came in last night
Elephant: Indian? Pah, we are Thai elephants. Totally different thing.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I don't think animals can talk, that part of the story seems a bit unrealistic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Maybe they're Narnian elephants.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2018, 06:57:40 AM

Heh, I assume it is very much a "Ship of Theseus" situation ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Stone bridges are pretty durable, a fair number of Roman and medieval bridges retain much of their original materials.
This one doesn't look like it has had a lot of renovations, apart from the brick arch at the end. Probably added as the river shifted its course.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2018, 09:52:39 AM
Just what counted as a species for Noah's ark.

Psssst.....Jewish book.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2018, 09:52:39 AM

Well obviously it is not meant to be taken literally. It is symbolic for any manufacturer of dairy products
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on January 19, 2018, 12:23:31 PM

Stone bridges are pretty durable, a fair number of Roman and medieval bridges retain much of their original materials.
This one doesn't look like it has had a lot of renovations, apart from the brick arch at the end. Probably added as the river shifted its course.

Could be - though from the pictures, this one looks like it has a modern roadway laid over it. Presumably that would require some re-working of the bridge.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on January 19, 2018, 01:59:57 PM
Quote from: Maladict on January 19, 2018, 12:23:31 PM

Could be - though from the pictures, this one looks like it has a modern roadway laid over it. Presumably that would require some re-working of the bridge.

Well yes, the road surface may wear away and have to be replaced every once in a while.

Ed Anger

Looks like I didn't miss much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Still alive! I started to get worried when Before's black SS counters didn't elicit any comment from you.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2018, 08:55:25 PM
Still alive! I started to get worried when Before's black SS counters didn't elicit any comment from you.

Alexander got Captain Trips and was hospitalized. I was either home watching the the other kids or at Dayton Children's with Alex.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive