News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Just did my taxes. Took me almost an hour. :(

Zanza

Ikea is one of the ten biggest German food chains, roughly the size of Subway.  :hmm: They consider to build restaurants independently from the furniture big box stores now.

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on April 29, 2017, 09:44:06 AM
Just did my taxes. Took me almost an hour. :(

Under 5 minutes  :yeah:

Liep

Buying dogs are tough work. Apparently you need to reserve them almost as soon as they're born or buy them from shady looking people on e-bay.

The search goes on!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

I have never "bought" a dog in my life. All of them have been adopted.

Or are you looking for a pure breed?

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on April 30, 2017, 05:33:59 AM
I have never "bought" a dog in my life. All of them have been adopted.

Or are you looking for a pure breed?

Not really, but a hunting dog.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

alfred russel

Ueli Steck--arguably the best mountaineer of the current generation--died yesterday trying to open up a new route on Everest.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/famed-swiss-climber-ueli-steck-killed-near-mount-090657055.html
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2017, 11:36:36 PM
Ueli Steck--arguably the best mountaineer of the current generation--died yesterday trying to open up a new route on Everest.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/famed-swiss-climber-ueli-steck-killed-near-mount-090657055.html

RIP :(

I think I saw a movie of him running up the Eiger. It was pretty impressive.

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2017, 11:36:36 PM

How do professional mountaineers make money anyway?  Sponsorship?

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on May 01, 2017, 04:15:43 AM
How do professional mountaineers make money anyway?  Sponsorship?

I'm guessing this is the video brain referenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc

Mono--yes, sponsorship, primarily by clothing and mountain gear companies (which has the added benefit of having the gear tested in extreme situations, though it can backfire as a marketing strategy, for example, the team that was the subject of the Meru movie was sponsored by North Face, and their expedition almost failed because of gear problems).

There are also other ways the top climbers make money. Guiding is one way--the speed record that Steck set on the Eiger in the video I linked to was broken by a guy who worked as a guide (Steck went back and reset the record, I"m not sure if he is currently the holder or not). In the US, which has large guiding companies, the guiding companies will sometimes support its top guides on expeditions. Also some of the guys also do mountain rescue--Simone Moro has branched out into helicopter rescue in the himalaya, which is an extreme sport in itself due to the altitude.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Apparently there was a mega drive version of guitar hero
██████
██████
██████