2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 01:15:17 AMSo Trump is really burnishing his anti-woke credentials, what with all the napping he is doing in court...

Heh.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2024, 01:58:41 AMI was geeked when I heard about the napping on NPR but there's no video, so didn't happen.

No video is allowed in the court room. Does that mean that nothing happens there?

Barrister

If I'm not, you know, lawyering, but have to just sit in a courtroom for some reason (say I'm waiting for my case to be called, or I'm just observing) somedays it can be hard to fight nodding off.  It can be pretty boring if you're not directly doing something.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on April 18, 2024, 07:13:13 AMI've long decided that trolls and idiots should be treated the same way, ignored.  Neither one will ever admit that they were trolling/wrong, so it really doesn't matter to me which it is.  It saves a lot of mental effort.

But it is so much fun egging them on to see how stupid they can sound.  It doesn't matter for entertainment purposes whether they actually are stupid or just pretend to be stupid.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 10:27:09 AMNo video is allowed in the court room. Does that mean that nothing happens there?

Plenty of video is allowed in the court room.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2024, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 10:27:09 AMNo video is allowed in the court room. Does that mean that nothing happens there?

Plenty of video is allowed in the court room.

Oh, I guess I was mistaken. I thought I read somewhere that recording was not allowed in this court room.

I'm surprised none of the many reporters recorded this when it happened.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 03:31:25 PMOh, I guess I was mistaken. I thought I read somewhere that recording was not allowed in this court room.

I'm surprised none of the many reporters recorded this when it happened.

I thought you meant all court rooms.

If this particular court does not allow video, then yes, by the rule of pics or it didn't happen, nothing happens in this court.  My thesis is that video recording has an impact on people that reports of journalists or chalk drawings does not.

Jacob

I think your thesis is correct, that video has a larger impact this day and age. It'll be interesting to see how the upcoming deluge of fake video will impact this.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 03:51:33 PMI think your thesis is correct, that video has a larger impact this day and age. It'll be interesting to see how the upcoming deluge of fake video will impact this.
Yeah was listening to something about this. Maybe we're moving out of an age of implicit trust and faith in the image and primacy of the image over the word since photography (not that we ever should have trusted it but...) :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2024, 03:31:25 PMOh, I guess I was mistaken. I thought I read somewhere that recording was not allowed in this court room.

Canada does not allow recording in court rooms.  But the US does.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.