Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery [Spoilers]  (Read 27007 times)

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
Re: Star Trek: Discovery [Spoilers]
« Reply #450 on: October 22, 2020, 02:23:25 pm »
Watched the first three episodes of Lower Decks. It's all right, a bit like a hyper-caffeinated version of early Orville. The references etc. are cute, but I can't say I'm massively engaged by it so far.

Give it more of a chance.  It keeps the wit and develops a not bad plot for what it is.

Syt

• Neil
  • Spooktober Time
« Reply #451 on: October 22, 2020, 02:28:30 pm »
Well, I will watch it till the end; it's only 10 episodes, after all.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Barrister

• Neil
« Reply #452 on: October 22, 2020, 02:41:10 pm »
Watched the first three episodes of Lower Decks. It's all right, a bit like a hyper-caffeinated version of early Orville. The references etc. are cute, but I can't say I'm massively engaged by it so far.

Give it more of a chance.  It keeps the wit and develops a not bad plot for what it is.

It's only a 10-episode season but I found it grew on me.  Characters became a little more developed, even experienced some character growth.

If Syt doesn't like it he shouldn't continue, but if I'm reading Syt correctly I think he should give it more of a try.

The best episodes are the last two.  Episode 9 Crisis Point becomes a spoof of Star Trek movies, and Ep 10 No Small Parts has an epic encounter with the Pakleds(!) which drastically shakes up all of the characters for season 2 - and calls back to several of the earlier episodes of Lower Decks.

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #453 on: October 22, 2020, 04:55:07 pm »
I liked it from the beginning.  :)   Each episode had me laughing.

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #454 on: October 22, 2020, 09:48:08 pm »
Well, that was a waste of an episode.

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #455 on: October 23, 2020, 02:37:33 pm »
I've been looking for you for so long-what? Like 5 years and the restore the federation plan is well under way?
No. A year.
That's not so long...
██████
██████
██████

Syt

• Neil
  • Spooktober Time
« Reply #456 on: Today at 07:17:03 am »
I liked the new Disco episode. :)

It was nice to have an episode that's not focused on Michael. Like, at all. I hope that the focus that she had in seasons 1 and 2 will be a bit rebalanced this time around. I liked the almost steampunk design of the mining settlement, and the old school wild west stand offs in the saloon. And I'm still enjoying the heck out of Janet Jett Reno. :D
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Grey Fox

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Ed Anger[RIP]'s tormentor
« Reply #457 on: Today at 09:23:44 am »
I liked it. I was pretty sure of that fact when I saw CCs post.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

• Neil
  • Spooktober Time
« Reply #458 on: Today at 09:38:23 am »
Btw, shoutout to Gene the Hazmat Guy, and his unenviable job of cleaning up what's left of Leland. :D :x

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #459 on: Today at 10:25:56 am »
I liked it. I was pretty sure of that fact when I saw CCs post.

Ok, no problems with Discovery being easily fixed but the whole thing almost going South because they sent two people physically unable to perform the task and then to add to the incompetence every time someone passed by who could do it without any problem, they were sent away; no problem with the Captain blindly going into what he knows is a trap; no problem with a bar fight in which they kill everyone but the baddy and then for some reason let the bad buy go so that he can show up Khan like later on; no problem a young guy in the bar (a bar-really) in a mining camp that no longer mines thinking the Federation is going to save him when we were told last episode the Federation doesn't exist; and no problem with the Discovery's engines not being able to break free of a bit of ice but a tractor beam could. 

All so we could get to the last scene where Michael is reunited with Discovery and we can start the series now.