News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dead Pool 2024

Started by Josephus, December 26, 2023, 09:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2024, 05:59:17 PMI saw some clips of the Depp/Heard trial but I have no opinion on who was right.  I did however get the distinct impression that Johnny Depp is a tool.
Sometimes, there are dysfunctional relationships were no one is right.

One can be a tool, an unfaithful spouse, an addict but not necessarily violent toward the other. Which was the core issue at the trial.  Imho, both ended up looking like fools at their trial.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2024, 11:52:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2024, 05:59:17 PMI saw some clips of the Depp/Heard trial but I have no opinion on who was right.  I did however get the distinct impression that Johnny Depp is a tool.
Sometimes, there are dysfunctional relationships were no one is right.

One can be a tool, an unfaithful spouse, an addict but not necessarily violent toward the other. Which was the core issue at the trial.  Imho, both ended up looking like fools at their trial.

Or, someone can look like a fool and still be the victim of domestic violence.

Edit:

I should be clear I didn't follow the trial.  It was just from social media it seemed like most people were on "Team Johnny" almost certainly because of his much greater fame.  But I have no particular insight on his guilt or innocence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2024, 02:47:21 PMOr, someone can look like a fool and still be the victim of domestic violence.
It's possible.

Looking at the trial evidence as reported by the medias, it seems both had a tendency toward abuse to the other.  In the end, it was judged defamation that Depp physically mistreated Miss Heard in this trial.  In another, he lost.  

Different rules, different evidence too, I suppose?  I don't really know.

Depp strike me as human wreck, but none of his exes testified he ever was abusive toward them.  Usually, such people tend to not limit themselves to one victim.  But maybe it did happen as she said.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Actually, Heard did not claim in the editorial Depp sued over that Depp had assaulted her.  He just said that she had been domestically assaulted and described its impact on her.  Depp, amazingly, won the defamation suit on the basis that everyone knew that Heard was writing about him, even though she did not name him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on April 17, 2024, 10:33:28 PMIt's possible.

Looking at the trial evidence as reported by the medias, it seems both had a tendency toward abuse to the other.  In the end, it was judged defamation that Depp physically mistreated Miss Heard in this trial.  In another, he lost. 

Different rules, different evidence too, I suppose?  I don't really know.

Depp strike me as human wreck, but none of his exes testified he ever was abusive toward them.  Usually, such people tend to not limit themselves to one victim.  But maybe it did happen as she said.
It wasn't Depp v Heard here, but against News Group who I think relied on truth as a defence. Heard gave a witness statement. Also libel cases are now largely heard by a civil judge (like all other civil cases) not juries on a balance of probabilities.

All of which probably had some impact. I think the gap between a successful truth defence here and, I believe, "actual malice" in the US trial is striking though.
Let's bomb Russia!