News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Gallagher is mediocre at this level, at best.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 04:16:39 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 16, 2024, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2024, 05:06:37 PMLiverpool cannot be low enough on the table for me to be satisfied with it.

Tamas, I'm chatting with a Chelsea fan on a discord server and he seems to think this Chelsea team will mature and be contenders for the league title in two years. I'm curious if you think similarly.

Hey, so did the Arsenal game answer this?  :D

I think they could become CL-place contenders IF: 1. we could get a striker who isn't either a complete muppet or near-permanently injured and 2. the current defense is in fact able to learn how to defend

On strikers, I have come to really despise Jackson. It's one thing to be a young striker who lacks confidence in the big leagues, not to mention that Drogba being the last Chelsea striker to actually find the net regularly, has been kind of our thing now for a decade or so. But I don't think its a lack of confidence he certainly seems to think very highly of himself.

I also have lost patience with Pochettino. I don't see where he is having any positive effect. Heck, even Lampard during his first stint you could kinda' see the team of kids he had had hunger even if clearly tactics-wise there was nothing to be excited or even happy about.

I remember under Mourinho (well, his first time with Chelsea, anyways) if they played shit the first half they'd come out with different tactics or at least a different level of motivation. Same with several other managers, not with this dude however. I am not saying he is not a good/decent coach, I readily admit that the current Chelsea must be a friggin' nightmare to manage, a bunch of young kids bought after some American re-watched Moneyball.

But he is not good enough for this situation. Most telling are his substitutions, they often reek of desperation of the "well, might as well try this since I have no idea what to do" kind.

I am semi-seriously yearning for Mourinho to come back. Yes, he'd crash and burn in a couple of seasons the most and no the game has left him behind so he won't turn us into champions overnight, but we need somebody who can out-ego all these kids and used to be being ruthless in drilling a system into a team. Any kind of system and coherence would do.

And... who else of any (past) note would take the job on?

Thanks Tamas.

I'm curious because it took years for Arsenal to fix itself and it is interesting to see how other clubs (I'm think of Chelsea and United particularly) fix themselves too.

I agree with you that Poch is not the guy to build around, especially with how ineptly the club seems to be run by the owners. He is a good coach but he doesn't appear to be ruthless or brave enough for the job. If they got the right guy there I think they could be challenging for a CL spot in a couple seasons.

The other thing I've noticed with their squad, especially on Tuesday lol, was they have no leaders and no spine. No experienced professionals to be examples for this extremely young team. There is a lot of talent at Chelsea but if there is no one to mentor it and prop it up during tough spells then there is no way for them to succeed or grow. It reminds me a lot of how late-Wenger Arsenal would blow over as soon as they got punched in the face.

Anyway, I certainly hate Chelsea and hope the club doesn't succeed  :lol:

but I also feel for you and I know how much it sucks to have your club be shit and be everyone's joke :cry:  :hug:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on Today at 09:28:28 AM:

but I also feel for you and I know how much it sucks to have your club be shit and be everyone's joke :cry:  :hug:

... As an arsenal fan or as a fan of another team?
As I don't think arsenal have ever been at that level in their entire history (though could be wrong digging back to before anyone on the board was born sort of times)
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Yeah, Arsenal have been mid-table mediocre before but not after spending gazillions on crap players. Also, while some people hate Arsenal it's not virtually universal like it is with the blue scum.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:06:29 PM... As an arsenal fan or as a fan of another team?
As I don't think arsenal have ever been at that level in their entire history (though could be wrong digging back to before anyone on the board was born sort of times)
I have sometimes found Arsenal fans a bit annoying/taken the piss.

There was definitely a period when they acted as if there was no worse fate than to be an Arsenal fan at a time when they were basically playing lovely football and in Europe every season :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Thats a fair assessment yeah. We are also an entitled bunch.

I'm talking mainly when we were finishing midtable and the club seemed listless and we were 15th midway through the season.

But yes still won an FA Cup in that period  :lol:

But I think in another sense arsenal fans like to exaggerate the poor state of the club back then because it makes the last few seasons seem more significant. And also other clubs like to refer to Arsenal now as a model for pulling themselves out of mire. See Chelsea and the new executives at Manchester United.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:06:29 PM

I mean, other people are allowed to feel sad about their football club.

Gups

Quote from: FunkMonk on Today at 03:14:49 PM

Don't know they're born. Chelsea behave been in two cup semis this season. I've supported my club for 48 years and haven't seen us in one. Fans of prem clubs, especially those who chose them because they were successful, get zero sympathy from me.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Gups on Today at 03:21:48 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on Today at 03:14:49 PM

Don't know they're born. Chelsea behave been in two cup semis this season. I've supported my club for 48 years and haven't seen us in one. Fans of prem clubs, especially those who chose them because they were successful, get zero sympathy from me.

What is your club? Is there a way I could watch or support them?

Gups

Charlton Athletic. I wouldn't bother if I were you