Author Topic: Life on the Rails  (Read 30222 times)

Admiral Yi

• Neil
Re: Life on the Rails
« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:06 pm »
If they installed one way mirrors in that hospital and charged admission, they could make a mint.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Duque de Bragança

• Blue Ribbon Brother
« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2019, 06:03:58 pm »
Well,  Montmartre instead of banlieue like Saint-Ouen is definitively better, unless you hate bobos, hipsters and tourist traps.  :P
Saint-Ouen is not great, but not exactly the worst. One of Paris flea markets is there.

Interesting, as always, Sav.

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2019, 03:40:02 am »

Allegedly, there is a mental hospital in Jerusalem that specializes in would-be saviours who show up as tourists - the so-called "Jerusalem Syndrome". I heard at the time that one form of treatment was group therapy (after all, if someone thinks they are Jesus, introduce them to a whole room filled with other people who think they are Jesus!) - now that would be interesting. What if the real one showed up?  :hmm:

So the age old question does have some validity.
What IS the plural of jesus?

I thought this article was an interesting explanation on how California managed to achieve a projected $40 Billion in cost overruns on a $30 Billion project while it was still in the planning stage:

I'll see you and raise you:  HS2 - the hundred billion pound railway vanity project to get train journey time back near to those of the Victorian era.  :bowler:

Come on mongers. You're a smart guy, you shouldn't fall into that trap.
HS2 is a desperately needed project to relieve overcrowding on British railways. The speed increases are just an added bonus.

It is however being ran under the shitty British system of privatising everything and beset by nimbys and a misinformation campaign
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:42:12 am by Tyr »
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2019, 04:09:39 am »

It's one of those oddball ones- jedi.
You know I'm going to lose
And gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it
Baby, I don't want to live forever.

Duque de Bragança

• Blue Ribbon Brother
« Reply #364 on: June 15, 2019, 08:40:03 am »

Easy, defective, has no plural.  :smarty:
Besides, the singular latin cases are irregular, being a transcription anyways:

Latin   Greek
nominative   Jēsūs   Iēsūs (Iēsus)   Ἰησοῦς
accusative   Jēsūm   Iēsūm (Iēsum)   Ἰησοῦν
dative   Jēsū   Iēsū   Ἰησοῦ
genitive
vocative
ablative   –

Savonarola

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
  • WEREWOLVES BUILT MY PRIUS!
« Reply #365 on: June 15, 2019, 10:32:00 am »
What impressed me most about the old city of Jerusalem, when I was there years ago, was the vast variety of weird religious groups I'd never heard of that were represented there - often wearing outlandish ceremonial garb.

I remember walking through a dense throng when suddenly it parted as people hastily got out of the way of a marching line of hawk-faced old bearded gentlemen, each carrying a large black staff which they brought down with a shattering crash on the flagstones in unison at each other step as they grimly marched forward.

I asked a girl who these guys were. She said "oh, those are the People of the Stick" as if I ought to know what that was. To this day, I have no idea who the "People of the Stick" were. I suppose, by the reaction of the crowd, that if you got in the way of their march, they would quickly hit you with their sticks.

That impressed me as well; though I didn't see anything as amazing as the People of the Stick.  (I see they're even too obscure for Duck Duck Go.)

Allegedly, there is a mental hospital in Jerusalem that specializes in would-be saviours who show up as tourists - the so-called "Jerusalem Syndrome". I heard at the time that one form of treatment was group therapy (after all, if someone thinks they are Jesus, introduce them to a whole room filled with other people who think they are Jesus!) - now that would be interesting. What if the real one showed up?  :hmm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kfar_Shaul_Mental_Health_Center

The hospital is known in particular for its association with Jerusalem Syndrome, a condition in which the sufferer is gripped by religious delusions. The hospital sees some 50 patients a year who are diagnosed with the condition.[9] Israel psychologist Gregory Katz has said many of the patients are Pentecostals from rural parts of the United States and Scandinavia.[10] The syndrome was first diagnosed in 1993 by Yair Bar-El, a former director of the hospital.[9]

I read somewhere once that they do group therapy for people who think that they're Jesus since each one is (usually) so benevolent that they're willing to let the others suffer their delusions.  (Perhaps it says something that only a madman would let other people suffer their delusions.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

« Reply #366 on: June 15, 2019, 10:37:34 am »
Well,  Montmartre instead of banlieue like Saint-Ouen is definitively better, unless you hate bobos, hipsters and tourist traps.  :P
Saint-Ouen is not great, but not exactly the worst. One of Paris flea markets is there.

Interesting, as always, Sav.

Thanks,

I certainly would much rather stay in Montmartre rather than Saint-Ouen; I was just surprised that it was so busy that we couldn't find a hotel.  Bill is going back there this week; he said it's even worse.  The cheapest approved hotel he could find was some one star one for 300 Euros a night; I'm not sure where, but he said it was even further from Saint-Ouen.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

« Reply #367 on: June 27, 2019, 02:12:41 pm »
I have to go boot shopping.  The Canada Safety Association (CSA) mandates a certain standards for boots; compliant boot manufacturers put a green triangle on their boot.  My boots do meet the CSA standards, but since I bought them in the United States (and didn't specifically request a Canadian compliant boot) mine don't have a green triangle.  In the Toronto projects no one cared (probably because a lot of their own workers had gotten their boots in the United States); but for Edmonton no such luck. 

I'm going to get a pair of green triangle Doc Martens and tell everyone that I'm totally into The Tragically Hip.   ;)