News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So House Speaker Mike Johnson came out strongly in favour of helping Ukraine, and will - apparently - bring a Ukraine aid bill on the floor soon? And Ms. Greene is having a moment, threatening to depose Johnson?

What's happening here? Is it because Trump is busy in NYC? Does it signal a shift in GOP strategy, or just momentary flash of sanity? Will Ukraine actually get substantial US aid, and how soon?

DGuller

The story seems to be that Johnson grew a spine, and Democrats grew a few braincells and promised to protect Johnson instead of instinctively aiding the hard right.

Jacob

So... like... this is just a good thing, if you care about Ukraine - and we'll likely see aid flow to Ukraine from the US in the not the distant future?

OttoVonBismarck

It has to make its way through the Senate--this also exposes a bit that some of you are way too quick to exaggerate the GOP as being pro-Russian, fwiw.

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on Today at 01:27:42 PMIt has to make its way through the Senate--this also exposes a bit that some of you are way too quick to exaggerate the GOP as being pro-Russian, fwiw.
Hardcore MAGA is definitely pro-Russian.  Coward MAGA and non-MAGA GOP appear to be much less so.

Grey Fox

I think Trump was infatuated with David Cameron when Johnson visited Mar-a-lago and spoke in favour of passing the bills.

I've seen opinions where it's because Trump is busy in a court room and not paying attention that Johnson is willing to actually do his job.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on Today at 02:40:11 AMI mean ...

I know, who would have thought that a ragtag band of Texan ex-Confederate soldiers would learn Anglo-Saxon and travel the frontier, teaching the wild inhabitants the joys of Bede's Ecclesiastical History and the Quoit Brooch Style?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on Today at 01:32:42 PMHardcore MAGA is definitely pro-Russian.  Coward MAGA and non-MAGA GOP appear to be much less so.

Yeah, they've only been pro-Russian in practice, not in their hearts, letting the pro-Russian faction set the agenda. If they actually stand up and fight Russia, that's a good thing.

Though if this quick flash of support is only because Trump is otherwise engaged, then it underscores the importance of keeping Trump out of the White House.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on Today at 01:27:42 PMIt has to make its way through the Senate--this also exposes a bit that some of you are way too quick to exaggerate the GOP as being pro-Russian, fwiw.

it'll take more than than to convince us, I'm afraid.

Josquius

It is curious to see trumps recent tweet where he seems to be pivoting to "I supported Ukraine all along!"

Which... Well. Good news for Ukraine. But transparent.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I'm telling you guys. Dave Cameron was in Mar-a-Lago on April 8th. Trump is very lets do what the last famous person I've talk to told me energy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 02:52:32 PMI'm telling you guys. Dave Cameron was in Mar-a-Lago on April 8th. Trump is very lets do what the last famous person I've talk to told me energy.

Yeah, the seems pretty apt.