Gaugamela (Alexander)
2 (8%)
Waterloo (Waterloo)
2 (8%)
Borodino (War & Peace)
6 (24%)
Aqaba (Lawrence of Arabia)
1 (4%)
Siege of Fort William Henry / Ambush (Last of the Mohicans)
4 (16%)
Indian ambush (The Revenant)
1 (4%)
Battle of the Crater (Cold Mountain)
1 (4%)
Helm's Deep (Two Towers)
5 (20%)
Siege of Jerusalem (Kingdom of Heaven)
0 (0%)
Stirling (Braveheart)
0 (0%)
3rd Servile War (Spartacus)
2 (8%)
Fort Wagner (Glory)
1 (4%)
Thermopylae (300)
1 (4%)
Agincourt (Henry V)
0 (0%)
Rorke's Drift (Zulu)
5 (20%)
Marcommanic Wars (Gladiator)
5 (20%)
Battle on the Ice (Alexander Nevsky)
0 (0%)
Gettysburg (Gettysburg)
3 (12%)
Other (Name it)
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on December 10, 2023, 01:22:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 10, 2023, 11:42:09 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 10, 2023, 11:25:06 AMI don't understand this categorisation, nor the need for it in case of a movie like M&C.

"This guy is super manly because he takes responsibility, looks after those in his care, does what is necessary even though it is difficult, fights hard for what is right, rises to the challenge in the face of privation, uses his intelligence to plan ahead" etc = positive masculinity.

"This guy is super manly because he is enjoys violence, is vindictive, if focused on being seen as strong, doesn't care about consequences to others, prioritizes shitty dominance games and is good at them, uses his intelligence to put others down and maintain his supremacy, effectively uses others as disposable tools" etc = toxic masculinity.

There'd normally also be something about attitudes towards women and sex and so on, but less relevant for Mater & Commander I expect.

Makes sense now, thanks. :thumbsup:

And it is not just in the movie.  It is a theme that runs throughout the books.  The two types of captain are often compared.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2023, 03:23:36 AMSci-fi:

I think "space battles" would need its own poll.   

After all "aeriel" implies staying in the atmosphere.  :P

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2023, 03:23:36 AMSci-fi:

- Death Star trench run: Star Wars has had made much more spectacular space battles, but this one is still the one to beat for its tight storytelling and tension.

The dual land/space battles raging concurrently in Rogue One are also absolutely amazing. Though a lot less serious, the Battle(s) of Endor are favorites, too, due to my childhood (and current!) love of Ewoks and the splicing of the ground, space, and duel combat going on. The score is fantastic, too. I love Hoth due to the vibe of the planet and the desperation of the rearguard action. None of the battles in the prequels or sequels stuck out to me in a good way. We'll if that changes with my planned rewatching.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Yeah, the Battle of Endor is a wonderful parallel action. They have reused the same concept many times in the prequels and sequels - mixing land and space action as the movie's climax - but the only time it clicked again was in Rogue One imho.

Hoth is one of my favorite scenes in all of Star Wars, although it has a big nostalgia component. Long before I watched the actual movies, there was this mall where my parents would go often, and they had this TV with that played the Hoth sequence in a loop. One of those indelible childhood memories.