News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect Andromeda

Started by Solmyr, June 15, 2015, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 22, 2017, 03:17:27 PM
I think ME2 was a vast improvement over ME1, personally, but it still had one major problem, being made for consoles.  Straight level, narrow corridors, a few jumps up and down, get to the boss, end the level.

ME2 was excellent. It was not the quality that concerned me. It was the kinds of design decisions they were making. But again I will talk about this at depth when I get to that game in my AAR.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2017, 03:06:48 PM
There's always Obsidian and CDProjekt.

I wish Obsidian got a shot at another AAA project though.

I don't. I much prefer them making the games they want to make with our support. Though I am sure they would be overjoyed to get a big AAA contract.

Is CDProjekt going to make anything besides Witcher gams?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2017, 03:33:25 PM

I don't. I much prefer them making the games they want to make with our support. Though I am sure they would be overjoyed to get a big AAA contract.

Yeah, they've got a cyberpunk one in development.

Fate

I enjoyed DA Inquisition. I guess it's no surprise that I am enjoying  Andromeda. Yeah, the stuff on facial animations is true. But it doesn't ruin the rest of the game for me. Currently about 15 hours in on the 3rd planet.

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on March 22, 2017, 07:19:27 PM
I enjoyed DA Inquisition. I guess it's no surprise that I am enjoying  Andromeda. Yeah, the stuff on facial animations is true. But it doesn't ruin the rest of the game for me. Currently about 15 hours in on the 3rd planet.

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.

Legbiter

Quote from: Scipio on March 22, 2017, 10:38:17 AM
FAcial animations are poop. Just fucking awful. Otherwise, the game plays really well. In game menus suck, but this is Bioware, so what do you expect? They are known for their shitty menus and opaque GUI stuff.

What about the story, does it have any punch? The premise sounds intriguing, playing as an AI's meat puppet as it colonizes a new galaxy.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grallon

I'm dubious about this.  A Mass Effect game without Shep or the Reapers doesn't feel right.  And while I greatly enjoyed Inquisition there was much MMO inspired bloat there.  I looked at the specs last night - 55G of empty HDD space?  Really?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on March 29, 2017, 10:03:05 AM

I'm dubious about this.  A Mass Effect game without Shep or the Reapers doesn't feel right.  And while I greatly enjoyed Inquisition there was much MMO inspired bloat there.  I looked at the specs last night - 55G of empty HDD space?  Really?

G.

On the otherhand, it is about time for the story to move elsewhere and 55GB isn't all that crazy in these days of affordable 1TB drives. Heck even my 4 year old PC has 2 of those attached.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

It is not like the Reapers was such a super compelling plot. Star Control 3 already had that exact set up, though that game had an incredibly lame resolution to that plot at the end so cannot really be compared to ME3.

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 11:01:52 AM
It is not like the Reapers was such a super compelling plot.

Trying to find a way to defeat the Reapers was what was compelling - the near impossible odds.  Too bad they cheapened the whole plot with that tangent the trilogy took with Cerberus - and that horrendous jumping cliché Kai Leng.  :glare:

If you haven't read it - I suggest this series of article on the Trilogy by Shamus:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

It's long but worth it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

I haven't played ME3 yet so I, beyond knowing people did not like the ending, I am trying not to spoil myself too much. But I will certainly check it out after I do. Thanks :)

Fate

Quote from: Grallon on March 29, 2017, 10:03:05 AM

G.

Reapers were replaced by the Kett Emprie (humanoid religious/gene editing zealots) as the big bad and Protheans were replaced by the Remnant as the highly advanced, extinct people of Andromeda. I think it works.

I just finished a full play through of Andromeda at 67 hours with 87% completion of all sidequests/main story. It's not as good as ME3 but the graphics are absolutely gorgeous (bought a 1080 Ti just for the game). I don't love the characters as much as I did after ME3, but a more fair comparison would be how I felt after ME1. I'll be buying Andromeda 2 if they make it. It's not like we have many other options for space opera RPGs. Maybe the Witcher guys should take a stab at the genre.

Quote from: Valmy
I haven't played ME3 yet so I, beyond knowing people did not like the ending, I am trying not to spoil myself too much. But I will certainly check it out after I do. Thanks :)

People didn't like the original ending. They released a new ending with extended cinematic a few years back and the Leviathan DLC which were a huge improvement.

celedhring

My only gripe with the story - ME3 finale notwithstanding - is that ME2 felt a lot like a rethread/sidequest. The Collectors felt very much like Geth 2.0 from the first game, and I didn't care zilch for them as enemies.

It was still very fun to play. And Cerberus was an interesting concept, even if they kinda wasted it in the end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 11:11:00 AM
I haven't played ME3 yet so I, beyond knowing people did not like the ending, I am trying not to spoil myself too much.
It's not a bad game, it's just not as great as we all hoped it would be.  And it's still a 32bit engine, tweaked ME2 engine (Unreal 3) and it shows its limits.

But games had graphical mods that greatly enhance the textures, in case I didn't mention it ;)
Talk to me once you reach ME2, I'll point you in the right direction.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2017, 03:35:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2017, 03:33:25 PM

Yeah, they've got a cyberpunk one in development.

Release date: 2077.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.