News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect Andromeda

Started by Solmyr, June 15, 2015, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on June 16, 2015, 06:50:07 PM
What that shitfuck amounted to was 100 hours of offline MMO grinding with about 15 hours of story. Add terrible PC controls, braindead combat and loot system, a frustrating menu system,
Well, the controls were made for a controller, not a keyboard and mouse.  that is their engine, I think.  And it's difficult to mod.  And even with 7 patches, they still haven't fixed everything there is to fix about the controls, that is true.
The combat system, I kinda like, but you need to constantly shift in and out of tac cam.  The loot system is no different than any other RPG.  The crafting is nice.  15 hrs of story vs 85hrs of MMO grinding is about the same for any RPG.  I mean, I partly played BG1&2, I didn't spend much time on the main quests.  In Skyrim, there is no real story.  There is supposedly this huge civil war between Nords&Imperials, but really, you travel freely between all the zones and when you decide you actually engage in the civil war, it's over in 3-4 battles.  In DA:O, before I could get to the main quest of rallying allies, I had to clear whole areas of baddies, just like DA:I.

I like what they tried to do with the fortresses, but it is incomplete work at best.  It's not worth GOTY award, but it's worth 8/10 certainly.  It's too bad I'm getting too old to play modern video games.  I need a console.  And a controller made for 12 year olds.

Oh, and the fact that Bioware went full tumblrsexual SJW retard with the title as well,
what does that mean exactly?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I really ought to play Mass Effect 3 someday.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2015, 08:41:40 AM
The combat system, I kinda like, but you need to constantly shift in and out of tac cam.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2015, 01:03:28 AM
Course Legbiter's review of DA:I's problems was just as silly as everything he ever posts.
What I want to know is how come he gets away with that review, and Valmy jumps all over me for mine. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2015, 12:43:08 PM
The combat system, I kinda like, but you need to constantly shift in and out of tac cam.

:hmm:
tactical camera is impractical, it does not zoom out enough.
in regular mode, trying to move your party in place is extremely difficult.  Hold won't hold and archers close in on their target as if to melee them.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2015, 01:09:53 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2015, 01:03:28 AM
Course Legbiter's review of DA:I's problems was just as silly as everything he ever posts.
What I want to know is how come he gets away with that review, and Valmy jumps all over me for mine. :hmm:

I jumped all over you because you said you hated the series and then posted weak sauce. You only played the first one and then gave up (for good reason granted) so I was like :rolleyes: come on do better than that. Reading it now it came off rougher on the screen than it sounded in my head though. Sorry.

Legbiter though has a political agenda, he does not like Bioware because they have gay relationships and shit. So his views on their games can be pretty much discarded.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

QuoteOh, and the fact that Bioware went full tumblrsexual SJW retard with the title as well,
what does that mean exactly?

It means he hates Bioware because he has a political agenda and his opinions on them can be safely ignored.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 24, 2015, 06:25:27 PM
tactical camera is impractical, it does not zoom out enough.
in regular mode, trying to move your party in place is extremely difficult.  Hold won't hold and archers close in on their target as if to melee them.

I have issues with the tac camera but surprisingly that is not it. I do not like how you have to wait for some sort of arbitrary range to target with your characters and how the screen shifts around as you change people for orders. I do not like how you have to negotiate the terrain with your little cursor thing. But ultimately it works alright as far the zoom I think. But man why make it so clunky?

The second part though, how your dudes do not hold position or follow orders very well and basically just do what their AI tells them to do, is really frustrating. I really miss being able to give AI behavior instructions like in the first two games. Trying to do anything very complicated tactically is difficult. I do not really understand why that is, this was not a problem in the first two games. I am glad I am a rogue where all I really need to do is 'keep them busy and don't die'. Playing with friendly fire is still a nightmare.

Maybe the PC controls are better now because I was concerned about the consolitis but that has not really been a problem. The controls seem cool to me just as far as usability is concerned. Maybe I am just used to them.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2015, 03:34:00 PM
I jumped all over you because you said you hated the series and then posted weak sauce. You only played the first one and then gave up (for good reason granted) so I was like :rolleyes: come on do better than that. Reading it now it came off rougher on the screen than it sounded in my head though. Sorry.
Don't worry I wasn't really mad. :D

I was thinking about playing the last one, but Princesca got it, told me it sucked, and never finished it, so I didn't bother.  If she hadn't said that I might have given the series another chance... honest. :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Hey no problem it is not for everybody. Weird it has its problems but no way does it suck. It is a nice change from the narrow hallways we have been playing in since DAO.

garbon

I don't think the most recent one sucked, but I would say that in some manner it really still isn't as fulfilling as the first outing. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2015, 04:08:33 PM
I don't think the most recent one sucked, but I would say that in some manner it really still isn't as fulfilling as the first outing. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why though.

I have some theories why that is but I am going to finish it first.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2015, 04:08:33 PM

I have issues with the game, even though I liked it.
The controls, even if they are better now, I still don't like it, like the points Valmy mentionned about characters not holding on their place.
Then there's the fetch quests to gain power.  You need a gazillion of these to get a few perks, but then you finish the game with like 300 power and there's just nothing to do with it.

I think it would have worked better if they made you buy perks with power points. Each perks costing more than the previous one, stuff like that.

The areas.  The Hinterlands is a huge area.  But the others, by comparison, feel small and constricted.

Story wise, there are a couple of things bugging me, but I don't want to spoil the game for Valmy just yet, and going into spoiler tags contest is not going to be fun, so I'll just wait and post in his threads when he's done.

viper37

Glad I didn't pre-ordered this one :)
It's bad

celedhring

This reminds me I never got around to play Inquisition's DLCs. Might do it now... or not.