News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Effect Andromeda

Started by Solmyr, June 15, 2015, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

it looks great.  I wonder how much cut content there will be by the time they release it though ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Meh.

Looks like Dragon Age: Inquisition in space.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Everything is better with Johnny Cash in it.

Caliga

Quote from: Legbiter on June 15, 2015, 03:57:25 PM
Meh.

Funny, that was Princesca's observation as well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2015, 05:55:55 PM
Meh.

Funny, that was Princesca's observation as well.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

:huh:  Don't look at me.  I hate the Dragon Age games dude.

Syt

I have yet to finish ME3 (though I played the first two twice each). :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2015, 06:00:13 PM
Why? I haven't played, but they're well regarded, so I'm interested in hearing alternate opinions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I don't like the fantasy world it's based in, the first game had crippling bugs in it, even though it's on rails to a large extent the main character wasn't voiced, I hated the combat, etc.

Yes, I realize some of these flaws were fixed later, but I just don't need yet another RPG to play.  I barely have time to play games anymore as it is.

Syt

I see where you're coming from. I liked the world, but I found the game was years behind its contemporaries Mass Effect 1 and 2 from a technical and presentational standpoint which was a major disappointment for me at the time (I was hoping for Baldur's Gate gameplay with Mass Effect looks). That every map was filled to the brim with enemies whether it made sense or not didn't help (God, what an endless slog the Deep Roads section is).

Took my five years to get through the game (after two or three aborted attempts where I stopped ca. halfway through because I got bored), though the passage of time has mellowed my opinion a bit. Also, loading times on my current computer are less punishing than they were on my 2009 laptop or on the Xbox. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I could never get thru ME1 & now the graphics are too dated.

No real interest into this one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Meh.

I find this comment amusing considering how much the Mass Effect series clearly had on Dragon Age. But to the extent it being like DAI is a bad thing I guess I will find out in a few days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2015, 06:00:13 PM

You do? You HATE them? Then clearly you must have strong opinions about them...

QuoteI don't like the fantasy world it's based in

I don't know. It has its strengths and weaknesses. I certainly like its way it uses many of the typical tropes but I have a problem with the limitations it has on the story telling. Seems a bit strong to justify hate though.

Quotethe first game had crippling bugs in it

Bullshit and nonsense. To the extent this is true it certainly is not fair. It was not buggy by any reasonable standard. Did it have bugs? Sure. Believe me I know buggy games but this was not one of them.

Quoteeven though it's on rails to a large extent the main character wasn't voiced

On rails? Again I call bullshit it was a little bit on rails but certainly not excessively in its genre. Yeah it is not Morrowind or anything but it never claimed to be in that genre. And having the main character voiced was a really new thing at the time, heck Skyrim and most modern RPGs the main character still is not voiced. All the games since the first one the main character has been voiced so how does that factor in to you HATING all the Dragon Age games?

QuoteI hated the combat

Well I loved it. I thought it was amazing and balanced though granted the original DA:O they were still working out how to make a good encounter with their system. The expansion, DLC, and Sequel do a much better job. I get that it may not be your thing but HATE it? What about it justifies hatred? Do you just not like RPGs?

QuoteYes, I realize some of these flaws were fixed later, but I just don't need yet another RPG to play.  I barely have time to play games anymore as it is.

Not really. They main character in the original is still unvoiced, the game world remains the same, and the combat is still pretty much the same. I get that it may not be your thing and we all have limited time but you said you hate it. This seems pretty weaksauce to justify emotions on that level towards the series. Do you honestly hate the entire series? Did you even play any of them beyond the first game?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2015, 07:08:24 AM
I see where you're coming from. I liked the world, but I found the game was years behind its contemporaries Mass Effect 1 and 2 from a technical and presentational standpoint which was a major disappointment for me at the time (I was hoping for Baldur's Gate gameplay with Mass Effect looks).

Huh. Well I have a hard time not seeing how that is not exactly what it is. Baldur's Gate combined with Mass Effect. The second one though is far more 'Mass Effected' than the first one though. Keep in mind originally that was not the intention of the series at all, it moved in that direction though after the success of Mass Effect.

QuoteThat every map was filled to the brim with enemies whether it made sense or not didn't help (God, what an endless slog the Deep Roads section is)

I don't really get the Deep Roads endless slog thing if you played Baldur's Gate. That is not even remotely as long as some of those dungeons. None of the maps were particularly huge and each one had its own kinds of fights and quests and style. However there was that moment right after I met Branka and they had a room with weaksauce Darkspawn that I was like 'really?' before they got into the trap rooms and it got interesting again. I don't get the criticism about filled to the brim with enemies. It is not particularly monster dense compared to Mass Effect and certainly not Baldur's Gate.

QuoteTook my five years to get through the game (after two or three aborted attempts where I stopped ca. halfway through because I got bored), though the passage of time has mellowed my opinion a bit. Also, loading times on my current computer are less punishing than they were on my 2009 laptop or on the Xbox. :P

Fair enough. Not everybody is going to like everything. The 2009 laptop or Xbox might have been your problem. Desktops are where it's at: more power for less money.

Generally I say if you like RPGs, and especially RPG tactical combat, at least give Dragon Age a shot.