Using laptop with full-size monitor and keyboard

Started by Brazen, June 12, 2015, 09:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

What's the best way to use my laptop with a full-size monitor and keyboard without spending too much money? KVM switch? Docking station? Wireless keyboard? Ideally I'd like to retire my tower system and use my existing peripherals with my laptop.

Grey Fox

a HDMI Cable & usb KBM cable plugged into the right ports?

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

KVM switches aren't necessary with Windows Vista on up (Windows' own multi-monitor support is very good and more intuitive than most KVMs I've used, IMO).  Also, most low-end to mid-range USB keyboards use the same generic USB HID driver (virtually all keyboards can use that driver, but fancier models like my G510 need drivers to recognize the extra buttons)- you could just plug in a keyboard and alternate typing every other letter on the laptop's own keyboard and the USB one, if you so desired.

Most useful tip: while docking stations are pretty much unnecessary, you can save a lot of space by setting the laptop to do nothing when the lid is closed instead of going into standby.  It basically turns the laptop into a somewhat oversized thin client.
Experience bij!