Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I like photos from the olden days, like that 70s USA series in The Atlantic, or old advertising, or interesting architectural pictures, and other odds and ends, so I will keep them in a separate thread instead of putting them into OTT all the time.

Here's some advertising that probably wouldn't fly today:

http://www.vintag.es/2015/06/30-vintage-ads-that-would-be-banned.html

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The state of some of those ads  :lol:

Happy to see we've gone forward as a society. I wonder which things we see as normal now will be seen as embarrassingly backwards in 30-40 years.

Zanza

That's a real ad from 2008 by the way.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

BMW knows their entire market is dickheads anyway.

Which is not to say I have any problem with the ad.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Color film footage from Berlin, summer 1945: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=387&v=R5i9k7s9X_A

Brandenburg Gate, Hotel Adlon, Alexanderplatz, Chancellery, Sportpalast etc. Some of it looks like the Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Impressions from the library of the new University of Economics in Vienna. It's colloquially called "Starship Enterprise."

—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

sbr

Yep. The second picture caught me off guard too, then I went back and looked at the first one again; it is the cast of Saturday Night Live:  Radner, Belushi, someone, Curtain, first token black guy, Murray.

Syt

I only just noticed that one lady of the group of women crossing the street is carrying an "Ernte 23" bag, a German cigarette brand.
—Stephen Jay Gould