Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Well the chap was a racing car driver in the 1920s, risk perceptions were different in those days.

I'm enjoying the thread a lot btw, some very interesting pics.

Ed Anger

The Brookside strike mentioned with the picture of the girl would be covered by the Harlan County USA documentary.

PREPARE TO BE BORED!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 14, 2015, 08:40:35 AM
The Brookside strike mentioned with the picture of the girl would be covered by the Harlan County USA documentary.

PREPARE TO BE BORED!
:lol:

I read an Atlantic article the other day about Lincoln Heights, OH, what used to be a thriving black community that has gone downhill a lot after the industry that employed many of them left, because racism.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2015, 02:44:22 PM
Interesting that Chevy Chase is not hanging with the homies, no?

He left the cast early.  Bill Murray replaced him.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

The not so pretty sights of England in the 60s/70s, courtesy BBC Magazine on Facebook:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Some for Beeb:

Thistle Curling Club group, Montreal, Québec, 1893

The Swedish and British curling teams at the 1924 Olympics at Chamonix.

The British Curling team poses during the 1924 Winter Olympics at Chamonix.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Back when curling was cool...much better outfits than today.

Syt

http://www.vintag.es/2015/08/pictures-of-fbis-colossal-fingerprint.html

QuoteThe following photos give us a fascinating look inside the FBI's overflow filing system. Housed during World War II in the Washington, D.C. Armory, the FBI's archive collected over 23 million cards and 10 million fingerprint records, with around 400,000 new cards added every month.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

Syt

"And women!" :P

Actually, I guess it was a special kind of punishment to tell the new guy, "Can you check if we have these prints on file?"
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2015, 12:37:32 AM
1970s Iran

[img]the pic with the four young HOTTies showing off legs[img]

The best example of why we should hate Islamic fundamentalism.  The Islamic world is having their Dark Ages way too late.

Eddie Teach

I'd guess the problem was that those pictures represent too small a segment of the population.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2015, 12:47:28 AM
I'd guess the problem was that those pictures represent too small a segment of the population.

Most likely; similar with the pictures from pre-war Afghanistan. I thought the book Kite Runner gave a decent (if brief) account of the pre-war differences between classes/ethnic groups from the view of a privileged child.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

If it wasn't Islamic fundamentalism it would have been Communism or something equally dumb.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017