FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It's not that straightforward once you have to figure out how to divvy up the bribes.

alfred russel

For the next decade plus the World Cup should just be played in pre existing facilities in Europe, maybe in the US or Japan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2015, 11:30:52 AM
Where do you stop? I think UEFA isn't much better than FIFA, and I wouldn't want to vouch for German DFB, or the officials of big clubs in Germany, tbh.

Make it a state responsibility.  The countries with rotten politics will remain rotten, but at least you get clean reps from countries with clean politics.

If there's one thing that every sporting governing body loathes it's the involvement of national governments or other official bodies in how they run their sport. Every time the Spanish government makes some noise about poking into how the Spanish FA does things all they get back is threats about blocking Spanish teams from international competitions.

The Minsky Moment

It's too bad there isn't some kind of political institution that brings together a bunch of European countries so they can act in a coordinated fashion.  Like some kind of "European union". That would be nice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on May 28, 2015, 11:52:50 AM
For the next decade plus the World Cup should just be played in pre existing facilities in Europe, maybe in the US or Japan.

The World Cup is what gets all the attention, but when you consider the power of FIFA to decide so much more in the global world of soccer, the opportunities for corruption must be just incredible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 28, 2015, 12:16:24 PM
It's too bad there isn't some kind of political institution that brings together a bunch of European countries so they can act in a coordinated fashion.  Like some kind of "European union". That would be nice.

... which doesn't include all UEFA countries (e.g. Russia, Turkey, Israel ...).

Even so, it's not a topic where the public calls for political interference and I imagine many voters would resent increased government involvement in their favorite sport.

Random comments from an Austria site that made me chuckle:
Poster: "Blatter has received a prestigious order from the Austrian Republic, and you know that you don't get those without doing something important for the country! :rolleyes: "
Reply: "Well, considering Blatter's corruption, ignoring of criticism, and resistance to resigning from his post, he'd be a great addition to our government!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

I'm shocked, shocked, that there's bribing going on in here!

KRonn

The Brain

I fail to be upset by a private sports organization being corrupt. Playing in/watching FIFA tournaments is extremely optional.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

As per the Last Week Tonight take down of FIFA, I think I know where they got the idea for their new meeting room.  Or shall we call it a war room...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Initial reaction of Sepp Blatter to the charges of corruption:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FEhHF_fzM

Shocked reaction from sponsors, other officials etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2JTPalv_s
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Yay, movie quotes!

The DoJ discussing the best course of action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on May 28, 2015, 11:52:50 AM

We had that we started to listen to the 3rd world crying about how they never have the World Cup. Hence the bribing became the official way of doing business.

I still can't believe we're having the WC in Qatar where everything has to be built! When the US can just pick 22 stadium from a list of hundreds.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2015, 01:31:37 PM
I fail to be upset by a private sports organization being corrupt. Playing in/watching FIFA tournaments is extremely optional.

This is a bizarre position to take. Corruption is a form of fraud. Surely, fraud is illegal, even when perpetrated by private persons.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 28, 2015, 03:21:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2015, 01:31:37 PM

This is a bizarre position to take. Corruption is a form of fraud. Surely, fraud is illegal, even when perpetrated by private persons.

You get upset by every single crime? Shrillax.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.