News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Syt, May 11, 2015, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2015, 01:02:21 PM
Look, I think someone could make a very interesting realistic post-apocalyptic game.  I might buy that game.  But that game wouldn't be Fallout.  Fallout has it's 1950s setting, some over-the-top 1950s future technology, and yes, it has its mutants and radscoprions.
If you've ever played The Last of Us, that's more of what I'm interested in.  It has its mutants but they somehow feel less goofy to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2015, 10:43:45 AM
I've said this before and you people poo-pooed it, but I'll say it again.  I would like the FO games more without all the dumb rad things and mutants.  Just make it people and like wild dogs and shit.  You can easily make a game with just human adversaries challenging, horrifying, etc.  You don't need dumb monsters.  For me that ruins some of the immersion since FO isn't a fantasy world like Skyrim, and that might be why I never finish the FO games.

I'm not sure why you think that FONV is mostly about mutants or rad things.  Sure, there are a fair number of mutated critters, but why is a mutant two-headed cow inherently inferior to a one-headed cow, given that this is a world in which radiation causes existing creatures to mutate rather than causing cancer and genetic disorders?

I think the superiority of NV is primarily in that it follows what your point is (or what it should be):  it is more interesting to face opponents with an agenda than to just struggle against an uncaring and hostile environment.  In FO3, 90% of the challenges you had to face were just irritants that kept you from progressing in the story.  In FONV, you really don't have to fight much at all except to advance the story.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2015, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2015, 12:34:34 PM
FO is a fantasy world.
What I mean is that it's set on the real Earth, as opposed to some other place like Middle-Earth or Tamriel or Pern or Dragonlance-planet (forget the name).

Harry Potter is set on the real Earth, but it is still a fantasy world.

Look, I think someone could make a very interesting realistic post-apocalyptic game.  I might buy that game.  But that game wouldn't be Fallout.  Fallout has it's 1950s setting, some over-the-top 1950s future technology, and yes, it has its mutants and radscoprions.

It takes just as much of its artistic vision from pulpy sci-fi as it does from reality.

I think originally the 1950's thing was simply an aesthetic choice rather then a design feature.  I think it was originally meant to be our future rather the an alternate future.  The war was between the US and China rather then the US and the Soviet Union and the mutations were not caused by radiation but rather a virus that changes DNA (DNA was only discovered in the 1950's and so doesn't fit well with the 1950's theme).  The 1950's were mostly graphically touches part of the story.  The Water chip is shown with vacuum tube, but computer hacking is frequently depicted.  I think the 1950's theme reflects the 1990's view that the people in the 1950's were dangerously naive about nukes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Well the reality is I'll still almost certainly buy FO4. :)

But if someone releases a mod to remove the giant mutant shit, I'll be installing it.

11B4V

You're dead to me.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2015, 04:06:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2015, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2015, 12:34:34 PM
FO is a fantasy world.
What I mean is that it's set on the real Earth, as opposed to some other place like Middle-Earth or Tamriel or Pern or Dragonlance-planet (forget the name).

Harry Potter is set on the real Earth, but it is still a fantasy world.

It takes just as much of its artistic vision from pulpy sci-fi as it does from reality.

I think originally the 1950's thing was simply an aesthetic choice rather then a design feature.  I think it was originally meant to be our future rather the an alternate future.  The war was between the US and China rather then the US and the Soviet Union and the mutations were not caused by radiation but rather a virus that changes DNA (DNA was only discovered in the 1950's and so doesn't fit well with the 1950's theme).  The 1950's were mostly graphically touches part of the story.  The Water chip is shown with vacuum tube, but computer hacking is frequently depicted.  I think the 1950's theme reflects the 1990's view that the people in the 1950's were dangerously naive about nukes.

This is largely wrong.

It's fused, obviously, but FO is actually a lot more retrofuture than FO2 or FO3.  The point of divergence in FO is that computer miniaturization begins sometime in the 2040s-2050s, with the war happening IIRC in 2073. There's clearly been some weird, interesting, alternative work on computer technology after the 2040s, resulting in some kind of DOS-like systems that appear to have both civilian and military applications. The FEV is one of the causes of mutation-in the first game it can cause people without radiation contamination to become intelligent super-mutants-but I think in the original FO it is implied that certain types of Mutants are largely the result of radiation. (In FO2, it is revealed that all extant complex life on the surface of the earth results in large part from exposure to FEV, providing survivors with some degree of resistance to genetic damage from radiation that Vault and Enclave pure-strain humans would not have.)  I don't think the FEV is that different from, say, the serum that makes Captain America Captain America, and I don't think it would be that wild for a 1955 comic to talk a bit about genetics given that Watson and Crick's big paper was in 1953.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

At no point in Fallout is there a Point of Divergance refrenced.  In the Fallout bible written in 2002 it's stated that pretty much all mutants are the result of FEV.  The DOS like computers are result of the game being made in the 1990s.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

QuoteThe Water chip is shown with vacuum tube,

QuoteAt no point in Fallout is there a Point of Divergance refrenced.

These are clearly mutually exclusive.  If there's a vacuum tube in a water chip in FO1, which there is, then a point of divergence is implied in FO1.  In the FOB the point of divergence is what I referenced previously. 

Also, you are using the FOB to explain FO1 ghouls but ignoring what is a rationally obvious point of divergence.  No idea why honestly.  Ghouls in Fo1 differ.  Harold is clearly explained as a freak combination of radiation poisoning and minimal FEV exposure rather than strictly one or the other.  I think most ghouls in Fo1 are the result of faulty Vaults and home bunkers; they weren't fried in the nuclear exchanges, but they were exposed to massive amounts of rads that changed them over time.  Admittedly, in the FOB this is connected to FEV exposure but I'm not sure this was the intent in Fo1. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

The vacuum tube chip is meant to be atmospheric.  It's part of a theme invoking the 1950's, not that transistors were never invented.  Vacuum tubes could have simply come back into style (the D20 Fallout book states that neo-vaccum tubes become part of high tech in the future).  Harold is stated to be mutant not a ghoul.

MadImmortalMan

A 3D artist put Fallout 4 on his resume on LinkedIn. Then got in trouble for breaking NDA. :p

Whoops.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 18, 2015, 04:07:22 PM
A 3D artist put Fallout 4 on his resume on LinkedIn. Then got in trouble for breaking NDA. :p

Whoops.

You want to see a woopsie, check out the OP.

Syt

Bethesda updated their Facebook profile:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I hope they are about to announce FO4 has been contracted out to Obsidian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
I hope they are about to announce FO4 has been contracted out to Obsidian.
:lol: