News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Berkut, May 08, 2015, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

I'm MadBurgerMaker, of course.  I've been meaning to come back to check out the French cruisers.

Berkut

Today's release finally has the long awaited British BB line.

Tier III: Bellerophon
Tier IV: Orion
Tier V: Iron Duke
Tier VI: Queen Elizabeth
Tier VII: King George V
Tier VIII: Monarch
Tier IX: Lion
Tier X: Conqueror
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

How does Monarch (a fantasy design, I imagine, since the last actual HMS Monarch was completed in 1911 and sunk in 1925) fit between KGV and Lion?  Lion is basically just a 16" version of the KGV, so I don't see much room between them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Well, everything after the KGV is a "paper" ship, right? So I suppose they aren't to worried about it. I think when they design these they care a lot more about in tier balance and some kind of reasonable progression in capability from ship to ship than they do about historical accuracy.

VII: KGV is armed with 2x4, 1x2 356mm guns (that is a bizarre setup)
VIII: Monarch has 3x3 384mm guns
IX Lion has 3x3 419mm guns
Conqueror has a choice of 4x2 457mm (largest guns in the game outside the Yamato) or 3x4 412mm

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2017, 07:24:45 AM
Well, everything after the KGV is a "paper" ship, right? So I suppose they aren't to worried about it. I think when they design these they care a lot more about in tier balance and some kind of reasonable progression in capability from ship to ship than they do about historical accuracy.

VII: KGV is armed with 2x4, 1x2 356mm guns (that is a bizarre setup)
VIII: Monarch has 3x3 384mm guns
IX Lion has 3x3 419mm guns
Conqueror has a choice of 4x2 457mm (largest guns in the game outside the Yamato) or 3x4 412mm

The first two Lions were actually laid down, so they were more than paper ships.

The KGVs had the weird armament arrangement because, when ordered, the limit on gun size was 14," so the Brits decided that their 35,000 ton BB should have three quad 14" turrets.  During final design, they decided that they wanted to up-armor the engineering speces to match the magazines, so deleted two barrels from the highest turret as weight compensation.  That turned out to be a mistake, as the twin turret then had to be designed, and the class was delayed about 6 months by this.

Monarch in the game uses 15" guns that the Brits didn't have.  Their 14" gun had better ballistics and penetration than their potential 15" gun, so their 15" design was never updated from the WW1 configuration.  But I can understand why the game wanted to invent a design between the 14" gun ship and the 16" gun ship.

It is interesting that the superior KGV is a tier VII design and the inferior Bismarck is Tier VIII.  I guess fan service dictates that the Bismarck be artificially enhanced lest the fanboiz desert.  That also explains why they invented a 15" gunned British battleship - it was to give the Brits a fantasy BB equivalent to the fantasy Bismarck.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Meh, the Bismarck came out in the game over a year before the Brits. And it made sense at Tier VIII, that is kind of the "sweet spot" for most premium ships (there is only one Tier IX premium, and it is kind of "special"). Bismarck is not a premium, but the Tirpitz is, and was released long before the German line, so it kind of established where that class would sit in the tree.

I think Biz is where it is at because it just made sense there, and they probably didn't even think one way or the other about whether KGV would "line up" with the Bismarck. Which is why it was ridiculous to put out the German BB line before the British line to begin with - now THAT was almost certainly a nod towards the Reich fanbois.

The Brits invented the damn battleship. They should have been the third line released, and the first line designed. The other lines should have been mostly built around them, rather than the other way around.

But WTH, its a game.

grumbler, you should try it. Its free to play, and a lot of fun. It is a naval *themed* GAME though, not a simulation. I like it compared to the others in the genre mainly because it has a much more considered pace in the gameplay, which I enjoy.

0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2017, 08:17:23 AM
Meh, the Bismarck came out in the game over a year before the Brits. And it made sense at Tier VIII, that is kind of the "sweet spot" for most premium ships (there is only one Tier IX premium, and it is kind of "special"). Bismarck is not a premium, but the Tirpitz is, and was released long before the German line, so it kind of established where that class would sit in the tree.

I think Biz is where it is at because it just made sense there, and they probably didn't even think one way or the other about whether KGV would "line up" with the Bismarck. Which is why it was ridiculous to put out the German BB line before the British line to begin with - now THAT was almost certainly a nod towards the Reich fanbois.

The Brits invented the damn battleship. They should have been the third line released, and the first line designed. The other lines should have been mostly built around them, rather than the other way around.

But WTH, its a game.

grumbler, you should try it. Its free to play, and a lot of fun. It is a naval *themed* GAME though, not a simulation. I like it compared to the others in the genre mainly because it has a much more considered pace in the gameplay, which I enjoy.

You definitely have to either take the approach of "it's just a game" or else not know much about actual naval warfare to enjoy it, though.  Personally, I wish it was a bit more of a simulation;  I can live with it, but there are things I don't like about it that irritate me, like how you want other ships to be able to fire full broadsides at you while you can only respond with your fore or aft guns. 

I think the things in the game that irritate me would drive grumbler nuts.

Berkut

It is a naval themed game in that it has objects that resemble ships and they do things that resemble the things you might imagine ships to do, but that is about the extent of the historical relevance.

That being said, I think it is a lot of fun, and becoming good at it an interesting challenge.

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

The Frog T3 cruiser seems nice....