News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Berkut, May 08, 2015, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

It is a lot of fun. It is arcade ship battles, but they do a nice job, and I am haveing a very good time.

Compared to WoT, it is a slower game. tends to develop a bit, then get kind of crazy.

The naval afficionados should think of the era as kind of a mish-mash of post WW1 and WW2. There are four ship classes:

Destroyers: Fast, usually torpedo armed as their primary weapon, nimble
Cruisers: Fast, sometimes torpedo armed but not always, pretty much the "medium tank" of WoW.
Battleships: Slow, very heavily armed, very slow firing, very long range.
Carriers: Slow, not really armed, have kind of a RTS like system of air groups that take time to arm, then fly off and attack stuff.

There is kind of a stone-papers-scissors things going. Destroyers are great for torp striking BBs, and of course love to sneak back to the carriers if they can. Cruisers can take out destroyers pretty easily if they can land a couple volleys, and can do a lot of damage to battleships, but the battleships can crush the cruisers as easily as the cruisers can crush the destroyers, if they can get a volley to land. The rate of fire difference between cruisers and battleships is very significant. BBs fire once every 20-30 seconds, cruisers tend to fire once every 6-9 seconds. Battleships are best for fighting other battleships, since they have the penetration to actualy do so effectively. Carriers can hammer BBs and even cruisers can be caught with a well timed torpedo bomber strike, but have a lot of trouble hitting the nimble DDs, which can almost (but not always) dance out of the way of a air launched torp strike after it is launched.

Right now there are limited tech trees. Two nationalities, US and Japan. Both have destroyers and cruisers, but only the US has carriers, and only Japan has BBs right now. There is a Brit premium ship, the Warspite, and a couple Russian premiums, but no actual tech trees for them yet. The next update should have US BBs and Japanese carriers.

Visually, the game is outstanding. It really looks great.

It is "closed" beta test right now, but you can get in if you are willing to buy a pre-order package that comes with a premium ship. I bought the Tier 4 Japanes cruiser Yidori for something like $13 or so. If anyone is in or wants to try it out, I created a "Languish" chat channel, which as far as I can tell is persistent.

If you like World of Tanks or War Thunder, you will very likely enjoy this...IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Warspite

QuoteThere is a Brit premium ship, the Warspite,

:yeah:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alcibiades

I'm not big on the idea of buying into it.  Just know they are going to end up giving out gold ammo and stuff eventually ruining it.   :sleep:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Berkut

If anyone is at all interested in getting in before OBT, they annouced the closed beta "bonus" ship for CBT testers was going to be a Tier IV US Battleship, the Arkansas. You get it for free if you participated in 50 CBT battles.

Of course, they are announcing this now as a pretty blatant attempt to "bribe" people into shelling out some cash to get into CBT. But if anyone is interested...

0 rows returned

Alcibiades

Managed to snag a key off of their facebook page today.   :cool:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

https://www.humblebundle.com/twitche3

Great deal for anyone interested in WoWS. $1 for CBT access, a T5 premium, 5 free slots, and 1000 gold.

In fact, it is kind of a stupidly good deal. I suspect some kind of mistake on someones part.

0 rows returned

Alcibiades

Uh yeah it is, I would have done that in a heartbeat.  1000g is worth more than a dollar in World of vehicles any way.  Can't check it at work but sounds great. 

Berkut

Game is now in open beta if anyone wants to give it a try...

0 rows returned

Berkut

There is a "Languish!" channel as well.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

Epic. Carriers can be brutal when people don't know how to make torp strikes hard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7606i87196og64/shot-15.08.22_10.33.30-0466.jpg?dl=0

0 rows returned

Syt

So it seems this is out now?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.