News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syt's YouTube Channel

Started by Syt, May 01, 2015, 01:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ancient Demon

It says all your videos are unavailable, what happened?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Syt

Taken them offline for the time being as I put the channel on hiatus (i.e. the outcome of all projects I start).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I consider relaunching my channel, with a focus on slowly playing through all the dozens of RPGs I have accumulated over the years (one game at a time).

I've bought countless CRPGs and easily have a hundred or more in my accounts on Steam and GOG, from Ultima I through VII to SSI's Gold Box series, all the Elder Scrolls, BG1&2, Fallouts, Planescape, Arcanum, Geneforge, Avadon, Eschalon, Avernum and a fair number of cheapo JRPGs, but I think I can count the ones I've actually finished on two hands. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

schaksen

It's not about finishing, it's about getting your moneys worth out of it. And besides collecting is an art in itself.
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Syt

I've just spent 4 hours trying to find out why I couldn't record gameplay commentary and why there was a silly delay at each recording causing audio and video to go out of sync.

Turned out that I had the microphone connected to a normal USB port instead of an USB3 as required.  :blush:

I've re-activated my channel and plan on adding videos on the weekend: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-d7cKAvm9JLb3OkWbKy4A
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

lustindarkness

Good voice for this.

Syt, what are the bare basics needed for youtubing say minecraft, my daughter will be old enough in a couple of years and she has been wanting to create a channel for ever. Good cheap/free game capture software? Webcam? Microphone?

She is 11 and has already been an admin at a minecraft server, she may soon create her own server. Maybe her cheap dad will get her a good gaming laptop too, but that would be another thread.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Thanks. :)

I first started recording with Action!: http://store.steampowered.com/app/228180/

But I found it would occasionally glitch out, and I would only notice at the end of the recording. It might be due to my system, so YMMV.

I mostly use D3D Gear: http://store.steampowered.com/app/372390/ which costs €34.99 (and occasionally goes on sale). It has a pretty low impact on system resources, and there's tutorials for it on YouTube, including for recording Minecraft.

As for microphone, I use a Blue Snowball USB microphone: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1452148021&sr=1-2&keywords=blue+snowball

Before you spend money on it, I would suggest doing test recordings with the headset you probably already have to see if it's sufficient for you. I find the Snowball has a pretty decent quality, and has a function to reduce background noise or clicking/typing (by slicing of 10 dB), but it also means you have to be closer to the microphone for recording. If you have a quiet room in your house it might not be necessary. Downside of the Snowball is that it comes on a small stand; so if you record with the noise reduction feature and have to be close to the mic, then it can get in the way of mouse/keyboard. I bought a cheap telescope arm to put the mic on to get around that (and a pop filter). There's plenty of YouTube videos about the Snowball and its performance to get more info. :) I picked something that was easy to set up (USB), had decent quality, and had a reasonable price.

Also, a general recommendation is to record your video on a different HD than where the game is to avoid bottle necks.

Depending on quality and resolution the recorded files can be quite large. A 60 FPS 1920x1080 video of half an hour was usually 3 - 4.5 GB in size for me. Again, YMMV depending on settings. I have a 15MB/s upload speed, so uploading the files to YouTube isn't too bad, but your upload speed is something to keep in mind for this.
—Stephen Jay Gould

lustindarkness

Gracias. Gives me a starting point to research for her.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

You can also check out OBS which is free: https://obsproject.com/

I know quite a few Twitch streamers use this; but I think it's a bit more hardware intensive.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Spent most of this afternoon trying to find out why the Morrowind Total Overhaul was crashing my game on launch.

Tried re-installing a few times till I finally found the hint that two dll files that come with the mod and are needed for one of the config files are outdated and need to be renamed/removed before running the game on some systems.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ok, I'm giving up on the Overhaul (MGSO 3.0).

I've used it in the past and it worked fine, on this machine. Now, no matter what I do, the MGE component refuses to work and crashes the game, regardless of whether I use the latest version or one of the legacy versions.

I've tried running without the MGE and its graphical enhancements, but even just using the .exe tweaks and game balance mods leaves the game non-functioning (at best getting into the menu and crashing when I click "New" or try to load a saved game).

I've tried all the troubleshooting advice I could find anywhere. I've tried pretty much all different configurations of setting up the Overhaul. No dice. <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

First Morrowind episode online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC_VMPaZjb0

My commentary is a bit rusty, but with some practice I will be my awkward self again.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould