A billion miles past Pluto, New Horizon flies by Ultima Thule

Started by jimmy olsen, April 17, 2015, 12:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I wonder how soon until they image the Charon Relay.  :area52:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PJL

Quote from: KRonn on July 09, 2015, 08:22:12 AM
Pretty cool! Finally photos of Pluto! It's kind of a brown color; I was expecting something more gray and rocky.   :hmm:

Indeed, I keep thinking NASA are adding a sepia filter to it, and that it's actually grey.

Josquius

It was discovered in 1930. What do you expect?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 10, 2015, 12:43:04 AM
Three million miles out and closing!  :menace:

This is cool. Pretty good pics for so far away.  :) 

Though not yet close enough to show any cities and such...   ;)

Liep

1 million kilometres out, time to get excited!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

I saw a pic of mission control right when a batch of photos was coming in, and this one scientist dude looked like he was screaming "DROPPING LOADS!!!" he was so excited. :lol:

KRonn

I read that the closest photos will be taken tomorrow (Tuesday) and it'll be"Wednesday before the closest of Pluto's close-ups are available for release. And it will be well into next year — October 2016 — before all the anticipated data are transmitted to Earth."
So it's going to take time for photos and data to be received and released, including photos/data of some of Pluto's moons. Cool stuff though.  :cool:

Norgy

While I don't have that much of a hard-on for space exploration, I realise this is about as much I will get to see of space in my lifetime.

Which is sort of disappointing, as my parents at least got to see a moon landing.
Needs more Nazi scientists, this.

Liep

The NASA stream went full on patriotic at closest approach. Then they played Europe - Final Countdown. Then the obligatory USA! USA! chant.

It was beautiful. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Quote from: Liep on July 14, 2015, 06:51:40 AM
The NASA stream went full on patriotic at closest approach. Then they played Europe - Final Countdown. Then the obligatory USA! USA! chant.

It was beautiful. :weep:

:lol:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga