News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cities:Skylines

Started by Rex Francorum, February 10, 2015, 11:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Tyr does have a point - a lot of European cities have pedestrian areas in the center, usually shopping streets of some sort. Skylines doesn't really have that unless you use mods.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 11, 2019, 06:56:30 AM
Tyr does have a point - a lot of European cities have pedestrian areas in the center, usually shopping streets of some sort. Skylines doesn't really have that unless you use mods.

But that's because cities are very old, isn't it? If you designed a modern city from scratch with current know-how, you'd not do so with maze-like tiny streets.

FunkMonk

A game in which you build and govern a city over the course of a thousand years would be pretty cool.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2019, 07:29:28 AM

But that's because cities are very old, isn't it? If you designed a modern city from scratch with current know-how, you'd not do so with maze-like tiny streets.

Wouldn't call these tiny.

Personally, when playing Skylines I like mixing in a few commercial buildings in residential areas.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 11, 2019, 07:59:43 AM
A game in which you build and govern a city over the course of a thousand years would be pretty cool.

I would like that - either taking a city from medieval times to modern day, or a US city from a frontier town in the 1800s to present day or near future.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2019, 07:29:28 AM

In the 60s yes. American style towns were the fashion. Albeit often still keeping a small town centre.
These days the trend is very much the opposite
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2019, 06:22:29 PM
That just gives you American style cities with a few old looking buildings about.

No, far more what is needed is a city game where it is viable to build a non-car focussed city. And not just as a hacky challenge. But as part of the way the game actually works.

Agreed.

Go back to the original  SimCity, you didn't need roads at all  :D

Grinning_Colossus

I would like to order my generals to shell the city center when liberals/minorities rebel, and then rebuild with wide picturesque boulevards that the scum can't barricade.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I'll manage to play again someday. I just can't go back to vanilla and can't get my mod setup right.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Gotta admire the commitment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

It kinda looks like I would imagine a robot civ's city to look.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Guess we can revive this thread. :P

Dude overanalyzes the in-game trailer for C:S II:

I think he gets a bit overexcited ("Beautiful menus!" - they look the same as in the first one :P ) and a bit too :tinfoil: ("That MUST mean railyards are in as a mechanic!!"), but it highlights a few interesting things:
- seasons
- better roadbuilding/zoning (probably from fine road anarchy and similar mods)
- day/night cycle built in (was an add on in C:S1)
- 6 densities of residential zoning :o
- industries (like in the expansion) maybe built in?
- better control over public transit
- better overlays, highlighting suitability of areas for zoning
- more granularity in overlays overall (e.g. traffic volume and traffic flow treated separately)
- he didn't point it out, but I noticed that some of the road build icons in menu had three pipes running under them - man, if roads automatically distribute water/sewage/electricity pipes I'll be quite happy :lol:

Unfortunately for Josq it still seems to create mostly North American looking cities. :(

I think getting European cities "right" is a bit difficult, anyways, since very few modern cities here were built on empty fields but rather grew over centuries (still waiting for a game to cover that ... heck, even a US city from 1700s frontier settlement to modern metropolis would be cool).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

hopefully you can rezone areas of the same type (residential to residential) without it triggering an instant removal of all existing buildings. Was rather silly