Author Topic: Grand unified books thread  (Read 278088 times)

Grey Fox

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Ed Anger[RIP]'s tormentor
Re: Grand unified books thread
« Reply #3945 on: October 30, 2019, 09:17:45 am »
Who's Karla?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
  • Donald the Carpathian
« Reply #3946 on: October 30, 2019, 09:30:15 am »
"Funk is wronger by a couple orders of magnitude"

"Statistics are like mini-skirts. They give you good ideas, but hide the most important things."

We all know Funk is part of the Shallow State.

Malthus

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #3947 on: October 30, 2019, 10:08:51 am »
Heh the book I'm reading has a wonderful bit about the history of life insurance, with the leading character a fellow with the most Puritan name ever: "If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-for-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone".  :lol:

Also this wonderful line, about theological qualms over calculating death statistics: "Thus was the life insurance industry caught between a math problem and God."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:17:59 am by Malthus »
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insaneóMarcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #3948 on: October 30, 2019, 10:21:20 am »
Who's Karla?

Code name for LeCarre's fictional Soviet spymaster.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

grumbler

• Blessed by Valmy
  • I'll sleep when I'm dead
« Reply #3949 on: October 30, 2019, 03:11:53 pm »
Who's Karla?

A famous Canadian Serial killer.  :P

Also (more appropriately) the antagonist of the Smiley series of books by John le Carre.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #3950 on: November 10, 2019, 05:46:25 pm »
Has anyone read the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent?  Thoughts?  I got a recommendation.

Same dude recommended Dewey Lampkin, but he must have gotten the spelling wrong because i'm getting nothing on google.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

grumbler

• Blessed by Valmy
  • I'll sleep when I'm dead
« Reply #3951 on: November 10, 2019, 08:04:44 pm »
Has anyone read the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent?  Thoughts?  I got a recommendation.

Alexander Kent is a pen name for Douglas Reeman, so if you have read any Reeman you know what to expect from Kent:  good and exciting stories, but not a huge amount of character development.  Much better than Hornblower, and probably the best of the Napoleonic naval fiction.  The ones taking place in the Pacific were particularly good.  The later books (when Bolitho is an admiral and there's a lot more politic involved) are not as good, but still very readable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #3952 on: November 10, 2019, 08:07:10 pm »
Thanks.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

Malthus

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #3953 on: November 11, 2019, 07:35:17 am »
I read To Glory We Steer, one of that series, and I enjoyed it a lot.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insaneóMarcus Aurelius