Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The stray cat that moved in recently is already better read than me:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

The Brain

I just received Wars and Soldiers in the Early Reign Of Louis XIV: Volume 3 - The Armies of the Ottoman Empire 1645-1718, part of Helion's Century of the Soldier series. Sweet. I've been looking for detailed info in English on the Ottoman army of this era for a long time. Hopefully it will be readable, but it looks pretty great. 370 pages, nice illustrations etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Read the first half, absolutely fantastic

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Yes, I've watched several podcasts/videos of her in the last couple of days. She really knows her stuff.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Was struggling to find a new sci-fi book to read that wasn't just some exhausting pulp about describing shooting wars. Figured I should finally read Foundation.

Well, I like the basic premise. But boy, this book. Did. Not. Age. Well. This male-only world of cigarette smokers dominated by "atomics" tech could not be more early-50s if it tried.  :D Still, short enough so I'll soldier on.

Is it worth going through the trilogy, though?

Syt

First trilogy yes, IMHO.

Check out Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. But maybe not if you're an arachnophobe. I wrote about it earlier in this thread, but it contains spoilers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2020, 06:29:04 AM
First trilogy yes, IMHO.

Check out Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. But maybe not if you're an arachnophobe. I wrote about it earlier in this thread, but it contains spoilers.

Thanks I checked out a Kindle sample of it earlier. Might return to it actually, but yeah reading about giant intelligent spiders is not my idea of fun unfortunately. :D

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2020, 07:43:12 AM
I just received Wars and Soldiers in the Early Reign Of Louis XIV: Volume 3 - The Armies of the Ottoman Empire 1645-1718, part of Helion's Century of the Soldier series. Sweet. I've been looking for detailed info in English on the Ottoman army of this era for a long time. Hopefully it will be readable, but it looks pretty great. 370 pages, nice illustrations etc.

Finished it. Impressions were correct, it contains a lot of interesting info. I'm not an expert on the subject but it seemed OK to me. The English was quirky, but it was much better than the other originally Italian Helion book I complained about (which I had to quit), and it didn't annoy me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2020, 06:29:04 AM
First trilogy yes, IMHO.

Fantastic read

Malthus

Can anyone recommend a good readable biography of Simon Bolivar?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I read the Marie Arana book and I thought it was so so.

Syt

Are there any recommended books about
- the Soviet War in Afghanistan
- the NATO War in Afghanistan
- (the period between those wars?)
- The 2003 Iraq War and aftermath
?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2020, 02:14:19 AM
I read the Marie Arana book and I thought it was so so.

I finished that a month ago and agree - 5/10. Not bad on his personal life but doesn't really set the scene properly and too disjointed.